Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Ruf 550

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
My concern was that EVOMS seems to work with lots of different vendors, is RUF going to be higher quality since they are Porsche only. I plan on keeping this car for a long time, quality is priority number 1.

I also thought it was interesting that when the 997TT first came out, Ruf was one of the last manufacturers to release a tuning package. Why? They have direct access to Porsche, and have plenty of $$ for development, as well as decades of experience with the Metzler block. Did they do more extensive testing and R and D on their package, or were they just slower??

15K for 80 HP is a lot. I want to make sure I am paying for 1) a substantial change in the vehicle, and 2) Getting my $$ worth in quality.

posted before reading bmoores.
EVOMS does have a lot of vendors but that's because they are famous for building really powerful, solid car and have a lot of history in Porsche tuning. Admittedly, it's not as long of a history as Ruf, and not as illustrious either, but it's still a solid history nonetheless. The packages that EVOMS now offers for other manufacturers have only been around for a couple of years, iirc, while the vast majority of their experience has gone into development of some of the most serious, comprehensive, and reliable Porsche engine upgrades out there.

Admittedly, I'm a bit biased as I've only driven EVOMS tuned Porsches but having met Todd and most of the EVOMS crew, I know they're a stand-up group of guys.

That being said, having a RUF conversion with the proper documentation might help you get a bit more money for your car if you decide to sell it down the road, at least compared to having mods from most other tuners. But that's just speculation on my part.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Teamspeed Pro
joshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond repute
i'd have to agree, the 15k for 80 hp is to be completely honest absolutely ridiculous, im almost positive with a ecu flash and an exhaust you could be up around 80-100 for maybe 3-4 k i just don't think the additional RUF upgrades add up to anything near the pricetag, and a 2 year warranty isn't really a selling point imo

Old 08-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
bumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura about
Many years ago, Eloise Ruf was the hot ticket. Many years ago. Ruf, in my opinion, and meaning no disrespect, has clearly been surpassed by many reputable U.S. and European firms. As a glaring example, the practice of soldering a piggy-back chip onto an ECU is just stone age these days, and, frankly, indefensible.

Ruf has always had (and still does) a well-deserved reputation for quality work, and eye-popping prices. First-rate work can now be had from Champion, A.W.E., EVO, Protomotive, Sharkwerks, GMG, and a few others. All of these people are upfront, trustworthy, and understand how small the Porsche Turbo market is. All priced far lower than Ruf, you get more, and better, from any of them. Time marches on.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bmoores
I can tell you right now you have ZERO to be concerned about with regards to EVOMS working on multiple Marquees. Todd Z is an absolutely stand up guy. I am not a customer of his but I have spent a couple hours with him in person. Porsches are what he does best. He's been working on them for 20 years or so. RUF used to be the premier package but I honestly don't think they make the cut anymore. Talk to EVOMS, Protomotive, and Switzer and I personally guarantee that whichever of the three you choose to go with you will not be disappointed.
Ben is correct all three of them has far surpasseed RUF, RUF spent some time standing still on their name brand and it is top stuff but $ to HP gain theses three tuners are by far the best 9FF isnt bad either.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:09 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bumperpip
Many years ago, Eloise Ruf was the hot ticket.
is that alois' mom?

Old 08-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
hugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IIVVX
is that alois' mom?
I think h meant his daughter Aloisa

Ruf is a hotter ticket today than he has ever been,developing and producing stuff even Porsche(let alone other tuners) has not managed to do yet,see the new 8 cylinder engine for the 911...

As far as i know most 911 turbos through Ruf are either converted to or VIN cars Rt12s,not 550s which are not sexy enough for the obvious previously mentioned reasons

Old 08-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Teamspeed Member
FadeToBlack will become famous soon enoughFadeToBlack will become famous soon enoughFadeToBlack will become famous soon enoughFadeToBlack will become famous soon enoughFadeToBlack will become famous soon enoughFadeToBlack will become famous soon enoughFadeToBlack will become famous soon enough
RUF does one thing any US tuner can't: TUV their stuff. Europeans know what TUV means, probably some Americans. That alone is worth their premium.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
yzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hugo

Ruf is a hotter ticket today than he has ever been,developing and producing stuff even Porsche(let alone other tuners) has not managed to do yet,see the new 8 cylinder engine for the 911...
What is the cost effectiveness of swapping to a v8 when a tuner like EVOMS can make 1200 hp out of the 6 cylinder. Yes the vehicle will be unique but it is almost pointless. You can more than likely get the same performance from EVOMS around the same price if not cheaper than the v8 swap.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
the 15K includes a new clutch/stronger clutch as well as the other changes, not just a tune and pipe.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
When talking to Ruf, I learned that they are not pursuing the new TT engine, and are focusing on the v8