Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Ruf 550

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
You have some pretty quick stuff. Coming from you that means something.

I find it interesting that the 550 upgrade includes a clutch upgrade, where the other tuner packages, don't.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Banned
bmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond repute
Most will recommend it however at 550 crank hp the stock clutch can handle the power. Anything that gets you into the 550whp range will start testing the limits of the clutch. It's the increase in tourque more than anything that affects clutch life.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
The fact that if Ruf puts there name on it, they want it built right means something to me.

Not you probably should replace the clutch, but you don't have to.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Teamspeed Member
FadeToBlack will become famous soon enoughFadeToBlack will become famous soon enoughFadeToBlack will become famous soon enoughFadeToBlack will become famous soon enoughFadeToBlack will become famous soon enoughFadeToBlack will become famous soon enoughFadeToBlack will become famous soon enough
Someone mentioned durability. I have the feeling that US tuners don't think much towards high mileage, as 911 TTs are not usually going into 40-60k miles, but in Europe a lot of them do in two years time. I see US guys getting TTs with less than 10k miles, a thing which is impossible for a 997.1 in Europe (99.9% of the time, realistically speaking).
European tuners also have the concern of reliability, as these cars are used more in Europe than US (according to my personal experience with forums and car sales websites). Also, most tuners will want their kits to be homologated (in Europe that usually means TUV approved, as TUV is recognized all over the EU), so that means building kits that last and meet the EU legal requirements for emissions, sound and other legal matters, not only make power (even their high HP kits aren't TUV approved, due to use of high flow exhausts mainly). This is a feeling I don't get from the US tuners, which to me, only seem to go power and less reliability. A 1200HP TT engine will not last. The only US tuner I feel interest towards is Switzer, as they seem to talk about driveability, not only about power. They have tried to make the standard 997 gearbox last more (the revised 5 speed automatic), so the cars will last. That says something for me (I like packages, as everything is tested together and I also like that you can upgrade from one package to another. But even so, they know they're pushing it, but as far as we all can see (from YouTube), their cars are still working after a few events (DragTimes being the one most people know about), so that may almost leave that concern aside. It's good publicity for Switzer.

Last edited by FadeToBlack; 08-29-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond repute
brnsrgn,

PM if you have more questions.

bob

Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
bumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura aboutbumperpip has a spectacular aura about
Pinoyamg-Eloise is Aloises' identical twin. Like Michael Jackson and his sister, they have never been photographed in the same room at the same time.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Teamspeed Member
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bbywu
Did it feel more powerful?

Absolutely. Enormous difference. Massive surge in torque that is consistently available at all RPMs. Easily controllable in daily driving.

You may want to ask Doug (TTGasman) how his car ran in comparison to a GIAC/Tubi tune.
Sorry, I am late to this thread. But I will weigh in on the topic. I am very satisfied with my 550 Ruf conversion, no issues at all since I picked up the car in April '09. I did have a Giac/Tubi for a short time before the Ruf conversion. All I can say is the difference in TQ and drivability is night and day. The customer service I have received from Hans and the guys at RAC is totally first class. Unfortunately I cannot endorse the giac customer service experience but YMMV.
The thing about a Ruf conversion, it will not lose value as other modifications will. The Ruf cars drive exactly like OEM, it does not feel like a modded car if you will. A velvet hammer would best describe it.
I am confident there are many other tuners making lots more horsepower, for lots less money. But if it's a car you plan to keep you may want to consider the upcharge. I was fortunate, at the time of my conversion there was special pricing.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Teamspeed Member
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
One more thing.....it's a RUF!