Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Sledgehammer + 997.2 TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Banned
Jo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bmoores
Jo,

I've heard from other tuners who I won't mention by name that the 997.2 is technically dissapointing from a performance "development" standpoint. Is this a similar feeling you guys are having. This is the first car that has gone away from the GT1 derived block if my memory serves me and a few I have spoken with have eluded the the fact that it may be the end of an era.
It's the end of an era from a hardware standpoint, sure - but there are always trade-offs. The new gearbox is excellent, and there is no reason to believe that there won't be significant gains made on the new engine as well.

We're exploring every aspect of the car, and not rushing half-baked product to market in a bid to be "first", you know? By the time Tym puts the OK on a product for me and Neil to announce it, it'll be perfect.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Teamspeed Member
Kayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant future
997.2TT in white... mmmmmmmmmmm yummy!

Old 04-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Banned
bmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jo_Switzer
It's the end of an era from a hardware standpoint, sure - but there are always trade-offs. The new gearbox is excellent, and there is no reason to believe that there won't be significant gains made on the new engine as well.

We're exploring every aspect of the car, and not rushing half-baked product to market in a bid to be "first", you know? By the time Tym puts the OK on a product for me and Neil to announce it, it'll be perfect.
I would expect nothing less from you guys. Hopefully Porsche won't send us in the wrong direction as far as the platform goes. I think that we are only now really getting into the true potential of the GT1 block. I hope you guys continue to develop 996 and 997.1 technology. As much as I love the looks of the 7.2 I feel that the 7.1 will be my next car as the development is on a platform that has been tried and tested for sometime now. I look forward to seeing what you guys do.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:51 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
dk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TurboArt
Wow, he is alive and typing Long time no talk buddy. How's everything? Hope all is well and congrats on the new PDK beast.
I have been crazy busy with work (my other jobs). Anyways, i had a chance to log some miles on the pdk this week. the odometer just hit 300 miles. i definitely felt the car come alive after about 200 miles. it felt like the car picked up another 50 hp or so. as i was carefully breaking in the car today, i ran into an old school Grand National. He had drag radials as well as a tach protruding from his hood. it sounded and ran strong. Anyways, so much for the break in period. i could not help but see how the new 997.2 pdk would do. we went from around 50 - 150. i put about 3 - 4 cars on the him. the owner of the Grand National was shocked to say the least, especially when i told him it was 100% stock. i hate this job.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I had the opportunity to drive THIS gorgeous Carerra White Aero Kit PDK 7.2 tonight and all I can say is bring on a LP560-4! This car is faster than the stock 7.1 GT2 I drove last year for sure in the straights. This car just rips and I am pissed that I drove it (Thanks alot DK)...and now I want one. It is so nice to be able to use launch control to get the perfect launch, let the car shift for you and do it over and over...and never worry about missing a shift or breaking your knuckles on the PASM switch etc.

The PDK's performance seems to be very smart. It doesn't seem to spend a lot of time looking for the right gear in either sport or sport plus (the more aggressive setting that is anticipating race readiness). I like that under part throttle or full throttle that he PDK shifts seamlessly. I tried using the paddles to up shift once under WOT and it does have a 1 Mississippi (maybe 2 Mississippi) delay. For roll racing, I would just use the paddles for selecting the desired starting gear for the race and let the car shift the rest of the way (this seems best). The only time I think I would really use the paddles would be for road racing.

The engine feels strong and the turbos come on hard all the way to redline. This car feels like 500 awhp to the ground out of the box for sure. It feels like it traps 128mph like magazine tests have reported. I think that a flash, headers, exhaust, intercoolers, and some window tints and your done.

So in a nut shell I was impressed that I felt like I was driving a Porsche 911 Turbo, but had to pinch myself when I came to a light because I did not have to down shift or clutch...man I must be getting old LOL. I think this test drive could be enough to get a die hard 6speed guy like me, to cross over for my next Turbo purchase. Thanks again for the 40 minute drive tonight DK! Cheers and bravo Porsche!

Old 04-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Bullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant future
Great cars.