Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

New Here :The Evolution of my 996 Turbo 1037 AWHP/ 780 AWTQ

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by DJ
Joe I am in NY if you ever want to meet up, would love to see the beats !
DJ, sure thing, i will let you know when it gets back in NY.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by BigBadBen
I want some of those 12mm head studs...Cha Ching

Ben
Correction,you need some of those 12 mm head studs.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for sharing pics of the engine all torn down! Really neat stuff to see! Best of luck with the rest of your build!

Old 03-04-2009, 04:45 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Ian@EVOMS has a brilliant futureIan@EVOMS has a brilliant futureIan@EVOMS has a brilliant futureIan@EVOMS has a brilliant futureIan@EVOMS has a brilliant futureIan@EVOMS has a brilliant futureIan@EVOMS has a brilliant futureIan@EVOMS has a brilliant futureIan@EVOMS has a brilliant futureIan@EVOMS has a brilliant futureIan@EVOMS has a brilliant future
Everyone remember that 9.67 1/4 mile we did?

9's are a thing of the past...

No one has beaten the bar we set, so we shall set it higher!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:31 PM
cjv
Teamspeed Senior Member
cjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond repute
Joe,

Those 12 mm studs will open up a whole new world boost wise. Where are you planning to go with your boost? We have designed our set up for 2.4 bar. Head gaskets, multiple o-ringing heads and liners, step washers, threads and depth all play a part as to how much hold down you can achieve. The Supra's are able to up their boost plenty with the help of those 12 mm studs. That's where we got the idea in June of last year. I understand the type of step washers in addition to the type of thread used are really key to torque down abilities along with aiding in the elimination of any head movement. Our studs/washers came from an F1 team in Europe through the help of a friend with a very good connection.

I was curious as to your costs and what was done. I pulled out my correspondence from back then to look at what we did.

Chad,

The following are the costs to do the work required to run the 12.00 mm Heads Studs.

Disassemble the heads. $120.00

Set up case halves, indicate all threaded holes and bore threaded holes larger . $360.00

Tap all bores for 12.00 mm 4h threads. $300.00

Set up Manifolds and indicate all holes and bore for larger studs. $300.00

Set up Cylinder heads, indicate all holes and bore for larger studs, Counter bore for stepped washers. $576.00

Clean heads. $60.00

Assemble heads. $180.00

12.00 mm Head Stud kit with stepped head washers. $1,692.00

This work can be started immediately. The Stud kits are one week away.

These studs are anchored into the case with larger and courser threads, allowing the greater tensile to be added without stretching the threads in the Case. The stepped washers stop the head from collapsing inward around the stud. Any movement either with the stud or the head will decrease the tensile loading and not put the same amount of clamping force evenly on the head gasket.

Neil

That little mod cost us about $3,700 plus shipping.

Good luck with your extraordinary project, I can't wait to see you shatter the existing benchmarks.

Last edited by cjv; 03-04-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by cjv
Joe,

Those 12 mm studs will open up a whole new world boost wise. Where are you planning to go with your boost? We have designed our set up for 2.4 bar. Head gaskets, multiple o-ringing heads and liners, step washers, threads and depth all play a part as to how much hold down you can achieve. The Supra's are able to up their boost plenty with the help of those 12 mm studs. That's where we got the idea in June of last year. I understand the type of step washers in addition to the type of thread used are really key to torque down abilities along with aiding in the elimination of any head movement. Our studs/washers came from an F1 team in Europe through the help of a friend with a very good connection.

I was curious as to your costs and what was done. I pulled out my correspondence from back then to look at what we did.

Chad,

The following are the costs to do the work required to run the 12.00 mm Heads Studs.

Disassemble the heads. $120.00

Set up case halves, indicate all threaded holes and bore threaded holes larger . $360.00

Tap all bores for 12.00 mm 4h threads. $300.00

Set up Manifolds and indicate all holes and bore for larger studs. $300.00

Set up Cylinder heads, indicate all holes and bore for larger studs, Counter bore for stepped washers. $576.00

Clean heads. $60.00

Assemble heads. $180.00

12.00 mm Head Stud kit with stepped head washers. $1,692.00

This work can be started immediately. The Stud kits are one week away.

These studs are anchored into the case with larger and courser threads, allowing the greater tensile to be added without stretching the threads in the Case. The stepped washers stop the head from collapsing inward around the stud. Any movement either with the stud or the head will decrease the tensile loading and not put the same amount of clamping force evenly on the head gasket.

Neil

That little mod cost us about $3,700 plus shipping.

Good luck with your extraordinary project, I can't wait to see you shatter the existing benchmarks.
Thanks Chad for sharing the info and the kind words.The idea for the studs came from Evoms as they were working on this for a little while but didn't pass it on to me till they knew it would be a big improvement and be worthwhile.I had remember you mentioning you were working on developing the same thing for your motor.Where are we going as far as boost goes?We shall see in about a week but Evoms believes over 30lbs is possible reliably from some of the research they have done so far.Thanks for sharing your costs but I am not sure on what Evoms would charge for the studs(we did so many things at one time ) so you would have to give Todd a call.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
BigBadBen has a brilliant futureBigBadBen has a brilliant futureBigBadBen has a brilliant futureBigBadBen has a brilliant futureBigBadBen has a brilliant futureBigBadBen has a brilliant futureBigBadBen has a brilliant futureBigBadBen has a brilliant futureBigBadBen has a brilliant futureBigBadBen has a brilliant futureBigBadBen has a brilliant future
Joe,

I tell you....

I am calling Todd in the AM to discuss the progress, we are 90% done. I just hate the thought of my car being down there any longer for the 12 mm head stud upgrade. You and your threads

I can't afford it anyway..biz is really bad at the moment, will be sleeping in my baby soon enough

Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to teamspeed Joe. Congrats on the build.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:10 AM
cjv
Teamspeed Senior Member
cjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by joetwint
Thanks Chad for sharing the info and the kind words.The idea for the studs came from Evoms as they were working on this for a little while but didn't pass it on to me till they knew it would be a big improvement and be worthwhile.I had remember you mentioning you were working on developing the same thing for your motor.Where are we going as far as boost goes?We shall see in about a week but Evoms believes over 30lbs is possible reliably from some of the research they have done so far.Thanks for sharing your costs but I am not sure on what Evoms would charge for the studs(we did so many things at one time ) so you would have to give Todd a call.
Joe,

We already have our studs. Out of curosity I was just looking for a cost comparison as we were looking at the same idea from slightly different angles.

If you still have time you might have them look at step washers and the related machine work. Not much more cost for the additional restriction of head movement. The tip came from a group that designs and builds some very extreme motors.

I agree, with what you have described, 30 psi is realistic.

Last edited by cjv; 03-05-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Former Sponsor
sharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond repute
Good to see Joe on here! Way to go buddy and EVOMS of course 30PSI... oh boy!

Quick Reply: New Here :The Evolution of my 996 Turbo 1037 AWHP/ 780 AWTQ