Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

Rolex gurus, I need help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 11:58 PM
MrTheBadGuy
Control It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond repute
I meant 'tick' not sweep of course...duh

Old 07-27-2012, 12:26 AM
Teamspeed Pro
boursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond repute
mate i respect that you are here to learn and i commend you for that and urge you to continue learning and researching

however not sure where you are from, regardless, rollies are abundant and readily available with tons of solid sellers
point being you should not settle for "examining" the authenticity of a rolex

that said, personally, yea i would check the sn but would also take it to a watchmaker/AD and pop it open

Old 07-27-2012, 02:32 AM
MrTheBadGuy
Control It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by boursachi
mate i respect that you are here to learn and i commend you for that and urge you to continue learning and researching

however not sure where you are from, regardless, rollies are abundant and readily available with tons of solid sellers
point being you should not settle for "examining" the authenticity of a rolex

that said, personally, yea i would check the sn but would also take it to a watchmaker/AD and pop it open
seriously.

Just reminded me of my first Rolex story! This is a perfect story to illustrate your point.

A vague business associate of mine always wore a blue two tone Submariner. I always noticed it and I dont remember how it came up but he took it off his wrist and I tried it on..He said I could wear it for a few days and if I liked it, he was selling it.

I didn't own any good watches and always wanted a Rolex and I have a good eye for things and can spot fakes even diamonds...There was something about this watch that just didn't feel right and yet I also felt it wasn't a fake..

I brought it to a local Rolex dealer and they took the band off and opened the watch..It was determined the watch was authentic but that it was originally a SS Submariner (If memory serves me right)...Regardless, it was real but it seemed to be a composite of sorts...The blue dial somehow looked odd to me too...the whole thing was fishy.

I gave the watch back and told the guy the story..he has bought it from a pretty well know place too...He as not very happy and he lowered the price but the watch felt wrong even with all authentic parts.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
eps2k is on a distinguished roadeps2k is on a distinguished road
I do not understand the skepticism, but I appreciate the responses!

I was simply trying to determine the authenticity of the watch without going to a dealer, but it seems as if that will be my best option right now.

Again, thanks for the help!

Old 07-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
You don't understand our skepticism because you know nothing about Rolex. They are the most copied and replicated timepiece in the world. On top of that, you have a gold Submariner that you got from someone, so if it is indeed real, you shelled out some serious cash for it. If you didn't, I'm betting it is a fake. No one would knowingly sell a watch like that for cheap when they could pawn it for a lot.

And the advice we've given you is simple to follow. Remove the bracelet and check for the serial # and model #... Good luck.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Eddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond repute
Go to TRF and post up pictures of your watch, they will help you figure out what is what.

Good luck.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Teamspeed Pro
PatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond repute
if youre in dallas, i know a place you can take it to get cleaned and checked out...

if the inside is as dirty as the out, you need it serviced.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
eps2k is on a distinguished roadeps2k is on a distinguished road
I understand the skeptisim.

The fact of the matter is, I just need to know if it's real. I'll wear it if so, if not...its trash to me. I'm not trying to pawn it off on anyone or trying to pull the cover over your eyes. Just thought I could use the forum resources to help.

I'll take it to an AD this weekend unless I can find the proper tools to find the serial number.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
What did yo pay for it?

Old 07-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Eddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Control It
seriously.

Just reminded me of my first Rolex story! This is a perfect story to illustrate your point.

A vague business associate of mine always wore a blue two tone Submariner. I always noticed it and I dont remember how it came up but he took it off his wrist and I tried it on..He said I could wear it for a few days and if I liked it, he was selling it.

I didn't own any good watches and always wanted a Rolex and I have a good eye for things and can spot fakes even diamonds...There was something about this watch that just didn't feel right and yet I also felt it wasn't a fake..

I brought it to a local Rolex dealer and they took the band off and opened the watch..It was determined the watch was authentic but that it was originally a SS Submariner (If memory serves me right)...Regardless, it was real but it seemed to be a composite of sorts...The blue dial somehow looked odd to me too...the whole thing was fishy.

I gave the watch back and told the guy the story..he has bought it from a pretty well know place too...He as not very happy and he lowered the price but the watch felt wrong even with all authentic parts.

Agreed.

Here is a pictorial example of how an old watch can be turned into a Exp2, and the only way the non-trained WIS would know is by taking the serial number directly to Rolex.

Watch this watch go from this to a brand new Exp2.

http://www.watchwallpapers.com/hte.htm

From this.

To this.

Last edited by Eddie; 07-27-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Rolex gurus, I need help...