Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   The Watch Forum (https://teamspeed.com/forums/watch-forum/)
-   -   Rolex gurus, I need help... (https://teamspeed.com/forums/watch-forum/74677-rolex-gurus-i-need-help.html)

eps2k 07-26-2012 11:45 AM

Rolex gurus, I need help...

First things first...I have no damn idea about Rolex as a whole. They have never really interested me, so I never took the time (ha!) to look further in to it.

I recently came upon a Rolex a few months ago. Obviously the first question I would need answered is if it's a legit Rolex or a fake. I respect many of your opinions on watches and from lurking around can tell most of you are very well versed on the topic.

I know there are no pictures posted, but I'll be happy to take some. I just need to know what I need to document for some help.

Thanks all!

Craigger 07-26-2012 11:50 AM

Can you open it up?

That would be the easiest way.

SHH 07-26-2012 11:54 AM

Take some pictures of the front, back, side, endlinks etc. Easiest way to tell if it's fake is to open it up.

You can also see if you find any numbers (serial and reference) between the lugs.

Good luck!

gmaccormack 07-26-2012 11:54 AM

If the second hand ticks off the seconds it's a fake. Real rolex have a sweating motion.

Marc 07-26-2012 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by SHH (Post 1368095)
Take some pictures of the front, back, side, endlinks etc. Easiest way to tell if it's fake is to open it up.

You can also see if you find any numbers (serial and reference) between the lugs.

Good luck!

This

SoCal 07-26-2012 12:02 PM

Rolexes have a sweeping motion, and having papers with the watch would go towards verifying its authenticity. There are also spots to look for, like the model # and serial # between the lugs.

eps2k 07-26-2012 12:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I took a few quick pictures. Very basic.

The second hand does "sweep" and doesn't move in increments.

I am not sure what "between the lugs" means - any help with that would be appreciated!

Attachment 153946
Attachment 153947
Attachment 153948
Attachment 153949
Attachment 153950

Obviously, its a little dirty! No sense in really cleaning it up if it's not worth it...

Marc 07-26-2012 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal (Post 1368106)
Rolexes have a sweeping motion, and having papers with the watch would go towards verifying its authenticity. There are also spots to look for, like the model # and serial # between the lugs.

Yes but if its vintage most dont have papers..

Marc 07-26-2012 12:18 PM

Just saw pics she look good thats a 16800 to verify take off the bracelet with a bracelet tool and on the inside of the lugs will be a SN and model # engraved.

Control It 07-26-2012 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by gmaccormack (Post 1368096)
If the second hand ticks off the seconds it's a fake. Real rolex have a sweating motion.

If ANY second hand ticks it means it's battery operated (correct me if I am wrong)..a sweeping second hand means it's a manual or automatic watch. But there are plenty of fake Rolexes wtih automatic movements so this is really no way to tell.

If your wrist turns green when you wear it, that means it's real.