Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

Rolex gurus, I need help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
eps2k is on a distinguished roadeps2k is on a distinguished road
Rolex gurus, I need help...

First things first...I have no damn idea about Rolex as a whole. They have never really interested me, so I never took the time (ha!) to look further in to it.

I recently came upon a Rolex a few months ago. Obviously the first question I would need answered is if it's a legit Rolex or a fake. I respect many of your opinions on watches and from lurking around can tell most of you are very well versed on the topic.

I know there are no pictures posted, but I'll be happy to take some. I just need to know what I need to document for some help.

Thanks all!

Old 07-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Craigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond repute
Can you open it up?

That would be the easiest way.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:54 AM
SHH
Teamspeed Senior Member
SHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the rough
Take some pictures of the front, back, side, endlinks etc. Easiest way to tell if it's fake is to open it up.

You can also see if you find any numbers (serial and reference) between the lugs.

Good luck!

Old 07-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Banned
gmaccormack is an unknown quantity at this point
If the second hand ticks off the seconds it's a fake. Real rolex have a sweating motion.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SHH
Take some pictures of the front, back, side, endlinks etc. Easiest way to tell if it's fake is to open it up.

You can also see if you find any numbers (serial and reference) between the lugs.

Good luck!
This

Old 07-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Rolexes have a sweeping motion, and having papers with the watch would go towards verifying its authenticity. There are also spots to look for, like the model # and serial # between the lugs.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
eps2k is on a distinguished roadeps2k is on a distinguished road
I took a few quick pictures. Very basic.

The second hand does "sweep" and doesn't move in increments.

I am not sure what "between the lugs" means - any help with that would be appreciated!

Name:  04f1ba61.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  75.1 KB
Name:  fece9697.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  44.0 KB
Name:  7f14de6d.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  92.8 KB
Name:  af7d821d.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  78.5 KB
Name:  315cd655.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  71.8 KB

Obviously, its a little dirty! No sense in really cleaning it up if it's not worth it...

Old 07-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SoCal
Rolexes have a sweeping motion, and having papers with the watch would go towards verifying its authenticity. There are also spots to look for, like the model # and serial # between the lugs.
Yes but if its vintage most dont have papers..

Old 07-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Just saw pics she look good thats a 16800 to verify take off the bracelet with a bracelet tool and on the inside of the lugs will be a SN and model # engraved.

Last edited by Marc; 07-26-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:19 PM
MrTheBadGuy
Control It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gmaccormack
If the second hand ticks off the seconds it's a fake. Real rolex have a sweating motion.
If ANY second hand ticks it means it's battery operated (correct me if I am wrong)..a sweeping second hand means it's a manual or automatic watch. But there are plenty of fake Rolexes wtih automatic movements so this is really no way to tell.

If your wrist turns green when you wear it, that means it's real.

Quick Reply: Rolex gurus, I need help...