Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

Struggling to decide on one piece, looking for some thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Eddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
Tradition where?
h20, traditional Korean weddings have some old traditions that date back.

For example, I've had to prepare the engagement ring, but also something that is pronounced "hahm." It's a handmade chest that includes, typically, a set of heirloom-like jewelry, and several other components. It's about the tradition and the symbolic significance, the value of the items, whether back to the Chosun dynasty, has always been associated with providing the best possible, within reason. In addition to that gesture to the bride, the groom typically has to give gifts of special clothing to the bride's parents.

The in-laws typically provide a single gift of large value as a type of thank you for all of that. Again, this, value wise is typical of the scope of things going into the wedding and eventual marriage at hand.

The above is the traditional, you know, nod to our culture, kind of thing. But this all pales in comparison to the the "modern" aspect. Properties, college funds for kids, have all been appropriated by me, and separately, the bride's family is adding to that. Why do you guys think I have a Cayman not a GT2RS, a s550 not a 65? lol.

Ugh, I hesitate to post this last thought, because it sounds off-putting, but in this current wedding situation, and with all the efforts being put forward back and forth and looking to the future, a 40k watch doesn't make anyone flinch.

The only place I posed this question online was on TS, because I figured this to be the only place where I figured people could put 2 and 2 together to realize if the subject at hand is about a watch, all the important external factors are already taken care of. I'm still happy that the majority of you guys picked up on that. Thanks.

Last edited by Eddie; 07-30-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
How about a 356 convertible? That would make a nice heirloom

Old 07-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Eddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CrazyRuskie
Perpetual calendar no doubt about it. Would be my ONLY choice. Specifically that one with the blue dial.
That was my thought going into it, only thing is, I haven't seen one in person. If it's a flat blue color dial, I wonder if it will lose its appeal. The ardoise dial in this piece has so much depth.

Originally Posted by GregV
May I suggest....... a tad out of your price range as far as retail price is concerned, but perhaps market will be below retail in which case it is in your budget.
I've never gotten into Audemars Piguet pieces, but I'll definitely check one out this weekend, thanks for the idea.

Originally Posted by tips
i like all those pieces you posted except for the rolli, out of those id pick the perpetual and the lange

that skeleton royal oak is also sweet
agreed.

Originally Posted by Tristan
Oh the Lang for sure.

Originally Posted by dante71
I would say the IWC but as you mentionned you already have some ! Therefore I think the lange would be a great watch, because it's a special watch for a special occasion !
I'm stuck between the perpetual calendar and the L.1, can't decide.

Originally Posted by Craigger
^^
With a watch box full of what the OP has, I hope he has a first (if not second,) home.
yes.

Originally Posted by IIVVX
josh is right.

lets see this ring.
She took some pictures, when I get one from her, I'll pm it to you, not really interested in posting it here.

Originally Posted by bonehead
It's tradition to buy the new son-in-law a new watch. Mind you, it doesn't have to be. $50K one, but it is a symbolic gesture you can't/shouldn't substitute with a check.
All that being said, if the in-laws have the coin to dump that absurd amount on a watch, I would get a $10K piece and kindly ask to put the rest away for a future grandchild.
내가 큰시게 거절 할꺼라고 말을 하니까, 절때로 않된데... 지금 까지 몰랐는데, 신부가정이 한국에 완전 재벌이드라. 진짜 놀랬거든. 우리 끼리얘기지만, 지금 난 DC 랑 NY 에 집있거든, 시부모가 손자통장을 크게 보탰고, 한국에 집을 하나 따로 해주신데. 사실은 내가 부담이 아주많이 있다말이야.

Originally Posted by ljg
I love the IWC but you already have good stock in those. Not a Nautilus fan myself either, or an all gold Rolex fan. That leaves the Lange and JLC, both of which are awesome time pieces and would be hard to choose between for me. If you are definitely going for a dress watch, you may also want to check out Breguet. They have some awesome watches in the 20-30k range.
Will check out Breguet next week, they have a store I think on 5th.

Originally Posted by sheynk
does your wife have a sister?
lol. a brother.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by BigE
How about a 356 convertible? That would make a nice heirloom
Dude, trust me, the thought has crossed my mind 30 times or so. To-be father in law is a gear head as well, was thinking of saying, hey let's put some funds together and go seek out a great vintage car to pass on together.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
What's going on here? Why is everyone trying to spend his (or his in-laws money) in other ways. He asked for advice on a watch, not what he should do with $40k. Let's assume the house, 401k, etc are user control. Even if there are not, it's TS, let's give the man some good advice.

Sorry to digress. I am a bit biased because this is my Grail piece. Patek 5146 (I like the white gold, but they have platinum and YG, too).
Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamspeed1312036596.828931.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  150.9 KB

Please don't get the rolex.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Whether you have a lot of IWC or not, the perpetual is the best of the bunch there. As someone else mentioned, the others are old man watches.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Eddie, thanks for filling us in on the traditions behind the Korean wedding. I was unaware of that when I made my suggestion of putting some money aside for the future and it seems you've already done that.

Hopefully you can find an AD to show you the IWC Perpetual Calendar. If it's as stunning as it looks in the photo you posted, that's the clear winner on looks alone.

Another suggestion would be something from Chopard's L.U.C. line of watches. Perhaps the Lunar One?

Or Audemars Piquet's Jules Audemars line?

Old 07-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by big_slacker
Whether you have a lot of IWC or not, the perpetual is the best of the bunch there. As someone else mentioned, the others are old man watches.
This Eddie IMO! Congrats on your wedding and may you have a long and happy marriage!

Old 07-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
sheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by eddie

lol. A brother.
fml

Old 07-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
boursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond repute
for Korean traditions

from the list: nautilus, iwc, jlc in that order

Quick Reply: Struggling to decide on one piece, looking for some thoughts.