Notices
Travel | Hotels & Resorts | Restaurants & Food Share Experiences From Your Favorite Hotels & Restaurants From Around The Globe.

Cruise advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:23 PM
I don't even really like Obama.
Sutler has a reputation beyond reputeSutler has a reputation beyond reputeSutler has a reputation beyond reputeSutler has a reputation beyond reputeSutler has a reputation beyond reputeSutler has a reputation beyond reputeSutler has a reputation beyond reputeSutler has a reputation beyond reputeSutler has a reputation beyond reputeSutler has a reputation beyond reputeSutler has a reputation beyond repute
Cruise advice.

My parents and I are trying to decide what to do this summer, and we've basically narrowed it down to three European cruises (and some other travelling while we're over there). Our first cruise was in the with RCCL's Navigator of the Seas last year and we all liked it, and I felt like it was one of the best weeks of my life for various reasons.

The three ships we're trying to decide between are:

RCCL Independence of the Seas, departing from Southampton and stopping at Gibraltar (UK), Cannes (France), Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Alicante (Spain), Lisbon (Portugal) and Vigo (Spain) for a total of 14 days.

Celebrity Solstice, departing from Barcelona and stopping at Rome, Naples (Italy), Santorini (Greece), Kusadasi (Turkey), Mykonos (Greece), Athens (Greece), and Valetta (Malta)for a total of 12 days.

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, departing from Venice and stopping at Split (Croatia), Corfu (Greece), Chania (Greece), Athens (Greece), Mykonos (Greece), Santorini (Greece), and Katakolon (also Greece) for a total of 10 days.

My parents have been to most European countries before and I've been to parts of England and France, much of Italy and much of Greece. The Solstice's itinerary shares a couple of ports with our last cruise, but that wouldn't be a huge issue. My Dad's really interested in the Greek islands, I'm leaning towards the Independence both because I haven't been to Spain and because it's a bigger, newer ship, and my Mom likes the idea of the Solstice and the Splendour, but they basically will go with whichever ship I want (they don't care that much).

I love Venice, and if the Splendour wasn't as old as it is I would go for that cruise without hesitation. The Independence is new and has tons of activities, but most of the good rooms are already sold out and the cruise is almost too long. From what I've read the Solstice is a beautiful ship, but it caters to a mostly 'senior'/mature crowd, and wouldn't be great for someone my age.

If any of you have any experience with any of the ships/ports I'd appreciate some input.

Thanks.

Last edited by Sutler; 03-15-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:00 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
PeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura about
I love Spain and Portugal, but out of the choices you listed I'd say the Independence's route has the least impressive scenery. Not sure how important of a factor that is for you.