Notices
Travel | Hotels & Resorts | Restaurants & Food Share Experiences From Your Favorite Hotels & Restaurants From Around The Globe.

1st trip to Washington DC

Old 01-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
1st trip to Washington DC

Ok, help all you east coast people.

My wife and I are planning a trip to W.DC. The whole tourist thing, the White House, Smithsonian, all the sights and sounds. But we have never been to the east coast, and have no idea where the best place to stay is.

We want to basically do the DC area, all that kind of thing, so where do we fly into, best hotel to stay at, do we need a rental or taxi?

Total noob to the east coast so all help is appreciated. We plan on staying at least 7 days.

Our trip will take place in August,late through the labor day weekend.

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ttowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant future
whenever i go to dc (which is often since i live in md) i always hotwire a room in dupont circle (kind of a gayer area but really nice, safe and close to everything). you can get a 4-5 start in dupont for $125/night. as far as getting around, i'd have a cab drop you in the thick of it and just go on foot from there, alot is in walking distance. dont bother renting a car, theres no where to park.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ttowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant future
oh, and your cheapest flight would probably be into dulles (iad). you can also fly into reagan but that usually more expensive

Old 01-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, it really depends. I would talk to some of the guys that live right around there and feel out what they say. I personally hate DC because of the traffic, but the area surrounding it is beautiful. Have a great trip when you go.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Ritz Carlton off Washington Circle. Metro will get you to most places, cabs to others. I'd skip the rental.

And one word: Camelot

Last edited by bonehead; 01-22-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
So for sure avoid the car huh? I figured there would more than enough to do locally, to not need to drive, but wasnt sure.

How is embassy row for hotels?

Old 01-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by bonehead
And one word: Camelot
Ok, explain that one... ?

Old 01-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Curvejunkie
So for sure avoid the car huh? I figured there would more than enough to do locally, to not need to drive, but wasnt sure.

How is embassy row for hotels?
It's been 7 years since I've lived there, but I don't think there are any hotels on Embassy Row??

Old 01-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by SoCal
Well, it really depends. I would talk to some of the guys that live right around there and feel out what they say. I personally hate DC because of the traffic, but the area surrounding it is beautiful. Have a great trip when you go.
I am talking major tourist here, plaid shirt, camera hanging down...lol, so the Smith is a big one on my list, along with the war memorials, and things like that.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by bonehead
It's been 7 years since I've lived there, but I don't think there are any hotels on Embassy Row??
A quick search through travelocity listed a couple? At least that is what i thought i read...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st trip to Washington DC