Notices
Travel | Hotels & Resorts | Restaurants & Food Share Experiences From Your Favorite Hotels & Restaurants From Around The Globe.

1st trip to Washington DC

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SoCal
Make sure to go to Arlington National Cemetery. Joe Loius, JFK, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers. And seeing the changing of the guard for that is absolutely amazing. You should also try to go to the Marine Corps Museum. I have never been, but have heard great things.
Outstanding!! My to do list is going to be long!

Old 01-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond repute
I've only been to DC once... when I was 12 years old. But the trip made a huge impression on me. I remember it like it was yesterday. Stayed at the JW Marriott, really enjoyed the FBI building, bureau of printing and engraving, smithsonian, capitol building and arlington cemetery. First time I'd seen crosswalks that go diagonal.

Enjoy the trip. It will be a great experience.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:27 PM
ljg
Teamspeed Pro
ljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
Ritz is actually in Foggy Bottom, not G-town Had the "pleasure" of seeing (and hearing) it go up living right across the street from start to finish
There is a Ritz in Georgetown too Off 31st Street, over the canal, have not stayed but heard good things. I have stayed in the one in Golden Triangle/Foggy Bottom (on 22nd).

Old 01-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
When are you coming? The Smithsonian can easily take multiple days depending in which museums you want to see. There is another tour we can talk about offline if you like. Either way we should definitely meet for dinner so let me know if you're interested.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Yep let us know when the time is closer. We can do a TS DC link-up...

Old 01-23-2011, 03:22 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Rascus will become famous soon enoughRascus will become famous soon enoughRascus will become famous soon enoughRascus will become famous soon enoughRascus will become famous soon enoughRascus will become famous soon enoughRascus will become famous soon enough
Another option, it's a little out of the way is staying in Old Town Alexandria. When ever I have to go to the area for Business I always try to stay there. One, it's about a 5 min drive to Regan, it's pretty accessible to Metro if you don't mind a little bit of a ride. I think from Alexandria to Washington Navy Yard is 20mins?

Old 01-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ljg
Stay in Dupont if you want to do the touristy thing and don't mind being in a bit hectic of an area veryyy accessible and lots of stuff in walking distance. Quick shot to most of the tourist stuff by cab or metro. If you want a bit more quiet, stay in Golden Triangle - Park Hyatt, Westin Grand, and Fairmont are all on the same intersection up there. They are a few blocks further from the action, but a short cab ride to anywhere in the city. If you want to stay in a trendy-ish area, stay in Georgetown at the Ritz or Four Seasons. Georgetown is a nice place to walk around with a bunch of shops, restaurants and such, but not really metro accessible.

In any case, fly into Reagan if you can, and don't rent a car unless absolutely necessary.
Thanks!
I like the sound of Georgetown, shops and such, I know my wife will like that.
As long as a cab ride away, I dont mind to much where we stay.

I am going to get some maps and sort of lay out a plan of attack on the city, sights and such, and see where they all lay out.

From everyones input, sounds like no car will be needed, just cab fare.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Gobbles
When are you coming? The Smithsonian can easily take multiple days depending in which museums you want to see. There is another tour we can talk about offline if you like. Either way we should definitely meet for dinner so let me know if you're interested.
Gobbles, that would be fantastic, and much enjoyed. I am going to pull down as much info on the Smith as we can, and plan a few days just to tackle that.

Your tour sounds most interesting! Ill be in touch regarding that.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
So far what we want to do and its of course subject to change!

1. The white house
2. The war memorials and Arlington (changing of the guards and such)
3. Smithsonian
4. ???

Old 01-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
I've been wanting to visit Washington, D.C. too. When I was a child, my aunt and uncle sold their house to a secret service agent, and he gave us a private tour of the White House. Unfortunately I was very young and it's hard to remember much.

Try to get a tour of the Capitol dome. How to Tour the Dome of the U.S. Capitol - Tour the U.S. Capitol Dome

And don't forget that you have to request White House tours through your representative or senator (6 months to 30 days before the visit).

Last edited by Overtaker; 01-23-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 1st trip to Washington DC