Notices
Travel | Hotels & Resorts | Restaurants & Food Share Experiences From Your Favorite Hotels & Restaurants From Around The Globe.

Noma (Denmark) - my 6 hour lunch @ one of the world's most influential restaurant

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fuel&Fire
+1 Looks like a Plant. Doesnt really look all that appetizing.

Very interesting stuff though...
+2, Chuck can you get more into this please because I cannot see the appeal and have not seen anything like this on any menu. Most of those dishes look great while some would be slightly to out there for me...I'm always down to try anything though

Old 06-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
"soil" can be found on many menus these days - it's not real soil obviously, generally some sort of crumb that's been dried, seasoned, and/or baked to look like soil.

this particular dish was (very) fresh radishes dipped in soil. somewhat witty and cute, perhaps, but in a way, an important opening statement - everything that doesn't kill you is fair game for food. in this case, one ate the soil, radish (root), and the greens. in one small dish, the entire philosophy of the restaurant is put out there.

restaurants like this do not exist to satisfy some basic 'must have steak' urge; instead, the chefs are trying to explore our relationships with food - just like every piece of art is not necessarily pretty. i can eat a steak with the best of them - just make sure it's been dry-aged for at least 8 weeks.

- chuck

Last edited by carendt242; 06-22-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
I'm with many of you here on how appetizing the food looks, but I am sure it tasted really good.

Like Chuck pointed out, it is important to remember that boundries and perceptions must be constantly tested to create new things that will work their way onto the plates of all types of meals. Even the plates of those strict "meat and potatoes" types.

It was not that long ago that the boundries between asian, french and american cuisine were very clear cut and never crossed. Now asian influenced dishes are everywhere. "Fusion" restaurants of all types are extremely popular to people in all walks of life. Even "TGIF's", Denny's and Abbleby's feature fusion dishes that would not have existed had someone not pushed the boundries of food.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with food here Chuck. I can't see ever eating at a place like NOMA, but I can see how some of their techniques and ideas will someday make it onto the plates of people in numerous parts of the world.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:03 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
where in denmark?

Old 06-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
some very interesting dishes. i love the use of various roots and greens.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IIVVX
where in denmark?
copenhagen

- chuck

Old 06-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute
That meal looked good and personally I will try almost anything so it looks pretty appealing to me. The razor clams and asparagus looked great.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:12 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by carendt242
copenhagen

- chuck
thanks, that's home. need to get back soon.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
noma was voted the #1 restaurant in the world last week. it is deserving (but i don't place too much credence in the list itself - very random - and the selection process leaves a lot to be desired)

The Top 50 Best Restaurants 1-50 | The World?s 50 Best Restaurants

- chuck

Old 05-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Question

Originally Posted by carendt242
noma was voted the #1 restaurant in the world last week. it is deserving (but i don't place too much credence in the list itself - very random - and the selection process leaves a lot to be desired)

The Top 50 Best Restaurants 1-50 | The World?s 50 Best Restaurants

- chuck
You got a review on The Fat Duck?

Quick Reply: Noma (Denmark) - my 6 hour lunch @ one of the world's most influential restaurant