Notices
Teamspeed Green The Forum For Cars That Will Change Our World & Way Of Thinking.

Rumormill: Cadillac Volt coming to Detroit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 10:51 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Rumormill: Cadillac Volt coming to Detroit?

Through some circumstantial evidence, "rumblings" and tea leave-reading, Autoweek has come to the conclusion that General Motors may unveil a new Cadillac model at the Detroit Auto Show powered by the Chevrolet Volt's range-extending hybrid powertrain.

Rumors of a Caddy-badged Volt have been circulated since earlier this year, with Bob Lutz and other GM execs hinting at the possibility of new hybrid model joining the Cadillac line-up. Lutz told reports back in September that "there's definitely room" for an eco-conscious Caddy and that "there's going to have to be some kind of dramatic environmental statement" from GM's luxury brand. So what form could it take?

Opel and Vauxhall versions of the Volt are already planned, but a Cadillac variant would likely be a small- to mid-size crossover. Just such a vehicle is slated to arrive in the second quarter of 2009 – the next generation SRX -- inspired by the Provoq concept unveiled earlier this year. While the Volt is supposed to carry a price tag of around $40,000, the range-extended, plug-in hybrid CUV from Cadillac would be priced significantly higher, and that could help GM recoup some of the costs associated with the Volt's advanced drivetrain development. We'll know for sure in a few weeks time.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
JP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond repute
It is not ugly

Old 12-19-2008, 12:56 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
6/10.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
It's okay for a GM product. However I have this strong feeling that the whole 'Volt' hybrid crap is going to suck soooo bad. I mean it took Toyota 10 years to build a decent hybrid and GM supposedly outdid them in what, 3 years, with 2 pennies and an old shoestring? Yeah, Right.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
sean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond repute
I wonder how it'll play out. With the Volt being priced at 40k it's well above the Prius (since Chevy actually has to make money on the thing, unlike Toyota which sells them for a loss). But the whole thing with those cars is the image of being eco-conscious, and Cadillac isn't exactly the "Please look at how humble I am" brand.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:37 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Its going to be crap, its the Cadillac version of the acadia or slightly smaller.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 4Wheels
It's okay for a GM product. However I have this strong feeling that the whole 'Volt' hybrid crap is going to suck soooo bad. I mean it took Toyota 10 years to build a decent hybrid and GM supposedly outdid them in what, 3 years, with 2 pennies and an old shoestring? Yeah, Right.
You do know that Chevy started with electric technology in the 90's with the EV1 and I believe there was even a car before that. Now I'm not saying they are good at but I'm also not saying they aren't. But to say they just jumped into it with pennies and a shoe string just shows your personal vendetta against American auto makers.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
and GM's version was the Impact from 1990...

Old 02-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sean
I wonder how it'll play out. With the Volt being priced at 40k it's well above the Prius (since Chevy actually has to make money on the thing, unlike Toyota which sells them for a loss). But the whole thing with those cars is the image of being eco-conscious, and Cadillac isn't exactly the "Please look at how humble I am" brand.
I was wondering about that too. I could see $45K tops for the Caddy model if they still want to sell any. If they kept the Volt's price tag below $35K with some options, they'd most likely be flying off the shelf, but if the base Volt is going for $40K+ and nearly $50K with options, I can't imagine the Caddy version going for much less than $50K at which point people will definitely start looking at things like the SRX which is a crossover as well, but has a much higher level of fit and finish in addition to being a decent driver.