Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Ok u Gun owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Marc
I would opt 223/556 in house IMO better then shotgun.
That is too much of a risk if you live close to neighbors. A 5.56 will easily travel through the walls of most houses and possibly into the home of an innocent neighbor. I would never run the risk of that happening. While I own a number of assualt rifles (5.56, 7.62x39/51) I only keep my 1911 ready for such a situation.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Sechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond repute
Honestly, long guns for people without training in tight quarters is probably not the best solution. Shotguns for in home are fantastic for any level of operator and will do enough damage to stop an intruder without the issue of over penetration. That said, I highly prefer a high capacity handgun as it aligns the most with my training and skill set. IMHO, you cant go wrong with a glock 17 or a smith and wesson m&p. each has a 17 round mag cap and are both incredibly "easy" to use.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats the best for basics. I would opt 223/556 in house IMO better then shotgun.
Originally Posted by JC919
That is too much of a risk if you live close to neighbors. A 5.56 will easily travel through the walls of most houses and possibly into the home of an innocent neighbor. I would never run the risk of that happening. While I own a number of assualt rifles (5.56, 7.62x39/51) I only keep my 1911 ready for such a situation.
Originally Posted by Sechsgang
Honestly, long guns for people without training in tight quarters is probably not the best solution. Shotguns for in home are fantastic for any level of operator and will do enough damage to stop an intruder without the issue of over penetration. That said, I highly prefer a high capacity handgun as it aligns the most with my training and skill set. IMHO, you cant go wrong with a glock 17 or a smith and wesson m&p. each has a 17 round mag cap and are both incredibly "easy" to use.
They all beat me to it. You want a shotgun because rifle rounds go through walls and kill kids, neighbors, etc. A shotgun will provide you with the protection/defense that you need.

A rifle in the hands of someone with proper training (CQB) is a BAD idea. HOME ALARMS are huge! A pistol or shotgun, in addition to a big ass dog, is the best home defense you can have beyond your alarm.

Here is how I think of home/personal defense: Concentric Rings of Security...

1-Outer: Home Alarm with glass breaks, door magnets, & siren. This will stop/scare off most home intruders.
2-Threshold: Deadbolts on all outer doors & a trained dog. If you forget to turn on your home alarm, a deadbolt will thwart most home invasions, and if they break a window, the dog will bark or attack them. This will provide you the opportunity to barricade the wife and children in a pre-designated "safe" area.
3-Inner: Pistol & shotgun. I stage weapons and magazines throughout the house so that if I fall asleep on my couch or if I am asleep in bed, I will be able to close with & eliminate the threat, should it get past my alarm, deadbolt, dog, etc.

Just think of Concentric Rings as layers of security...

I hope that makes sense.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
I disagree and if you do alot of reading the shotgun home protection theory is not the one of choice. I only use 45 so thats my choice, its slow and deadly

Old 06-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sechsgang
I also agree on this this choice of any long gun shotgun or rifle is not the best for anyone without experience. I had my first Mosberg in 1988.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Banned
SECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ogaleicrum
What do you need to protect from in Malta?

Drunk students?
Born in Malta live in US. Now you know why.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
I disagree and if you do alot of reading the shotgun home protection theory is not the one of choice. I only use 45 so thats my choice, its slow and deadly
Never said I'd go with a shotgun either. I just wanted to make the point that has already been reiterated; that use of a rifle cartidge in a home defense situation has a far greater risk of injuring an innocent bystander when compared to a low velocity pistol cartridge.

To the OP, I'd recommend a .45 Glock. Cheap, reliable and easy to operate. In the end, I am not 'trained' though I am from Texas, which means I have to know a lot about guns.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Banned
SECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond reputeSECTOR 911 has a reputation beyond repute
Also want a one kill gun. Don't want to waste bullets or time. But I will deal with ammo issue once a gun is purchased. Again thanks.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by SECTOR 911
Also want a one kill gun. Don't want to waste bullets or time. But I will deal with ammo issue once a gun is purchased. Again thanks.
In that case you should try to pickup a 'Golden Gun' from Golden Eye. One shot, one kill in solo mission mode brother.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Banned
This seems to be desirable. The gun would probably meet my requirements as well.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Ok u Gun owners