Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

The JC needs a new .308 rifle

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
The JC needs a new .308 rifle

My passion for firearms other than wing shooting shotguns has grown into something of an addiction as of late. Whether it is modifications to my beloved AR-15 or the love of my M1 Garand, I am constantly searching for a new purchase. With the recent passing of the 'porkchopper' law in TX I've decided that I am in need of a dedicated .308 semi-automatic rifle that I can use for a number of different disciplines. It needs to be something that is accurate to 400 yards and that I can mounts various optics and a bipod if needed. I wanted to start a thread in order to get input from the very knowledgeable members on the board.

Due to my love of the M1 Garand, my first choice at the moment is a M1A. Its a simple but accurate rifle, but my worry here is weight. Second choice is a AR based .308, of which there are numerous manufacturers to choose from.

Here's one idea:
http://www.cabelas.com/semiautomatic...to-rifle.shtml

I'm in the process of setting up a heli-pig hunting trip for later this fall, so hopefully I can post some tips and reviews further down the line.

Many thanks, The JC

Last edited by "The JC"; 09-03-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I like the scout squad.

The SOCOM II also from Springfield is the first M1 or M14 I shot.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
I have the Scout. Well, at the moment, I have nothing in Taiwan because plebs can't have guns here.

I sometimes wish I got the SOCOM because the SOCOM is a bit easier to handle than the Scout, despite only 2" in barrel length.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
SOCOM II is too damn heavy. SOCOM I and Scout Squad are ideal. Also take a look at the SCAR 17S - it's the only rifle the SEALs are going with. I love my SCAR 16S - I'm looking at all three of the above.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
I am in need of a dedicated .308 semi-automatic rifle that I can use for a number of different disciplines. It needs to be something that is accurate to 400 yards and that I can mounts various optics and a bipod if needed.
The LaRue Tactical OBR meets all of your criteria.

Chambered for 7.62 NATO
Effective range: 800m The winning team at one of the major sniper competitions (Camp Perry, maybe?) won using this rifle.
Plenty of rail space
CNC machined billet construction
Owners seem to love them

Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the suggestions. LaRue is located in Leander, which is near my lakehouse, so I'm going to try to check out their facility next week.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Secure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant future
LWRC REPR. Period. Next?

Old 09-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Teamspeed Member
DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Troy industries will allow you to keep your beloved and have all the modern day features.
Gun Sights|M7 Upgrades|Tritium Sights|Muzzle Brakes|Rail Covers|Troy Industries

Old 09-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
Another option to consider is the LMT .308 Modular Weapon System. It is currently in service with the British Armed Forces.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
^Now that is a seriously bad ass rifle. I've had a lot of experience with my friend's LMT 5.56 AR and I really respect the build quality. However, $3500-4k is a lot of money for me to spend on a rifle. Thanks again for the input!

Does anybody have a rifle forum that they would recommend? I've got some questions that I could probably do an easy search for the answers.

Quick Reply: The JC needs a new .308 rifle