Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

The JC needs a new .308 rifle

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
What is your budget JC? I say go with LMT, LWRC, or Accuracy International. You will never need another rifle...

Old 09-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't say that I have an exact budget. I do however think that $3.5k+ for just the rifle is a little silly for someone my age to spend. You've got a point though that if I do decide to spend this amount for a LMT, LWRC, or something of that nature it would be b/c I planned for it to be my last .308 semi rifle purchase. I may end up selling my PTR-91, as I never really gelled with that gun. With those funds, I may be more enthused to go after one of the high dollar .308 ARs. At this point, I am leaning towards a M1A because I can have one for $1600-2k.

I wish there was a way that I could 'test drive' some of these ARs, but unfortunately I'll have to make due with youtube reviews.

The LMT does look pretty sick though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekQlUrNEDdU

Last edited by "The JC"; 09-05-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:03 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Overtaker
The LaRue Tactical OBR meets all of your criteria.

Chambered for 7.62 NATO
Effective range: 800m The winning team at one of the major sniper competitions (Camp Perry, maybe?) won using this rifle.
Plenty of rail space
CNC machined billet construction
Owners seem to love them
Well... I was going to make a grandiose pitch for the LaRue, but homie here took care of that...

Our work is done here. Go ahead and close the thread...

There isn't a .308 variant built on the black rifle platform that'll out do the LaRue. The only thing that will come close is a Noveske, and they are more than you need to spend.

I have a LaRue, and it is the most accurate AR I've ever fired.

If you're willing to take a chance, check out this new outfit that I just hooked up with, Head Down Products. They're about to release a .308 version.

OR

Check out TacticalRifles.net.
Talk about sweet. and built EXACTLY the way you want it for an incredibly fair price. I'm having them build me a LaPua bolt gun right now.

Last edited by chokeu2; 09-05-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks choke, I like the looks of this

Tactical Precision Rifles Law Enforcement Military

Old 09-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
I've always loved the look & concept of the M14/M1A.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:45 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
Thanks choke, I like the looks of this

Tactical Precision Rifles Law Enforcement Military
I'm dealing with this guy right now, and it is an awesome experience. You will get the exact gun you want, because they will build it exactly the way you spec it. However, I'd advise taking the recommendations that they will offer.

And believe it or not, they will not add or tweak things to drive the price up. They will give guidance that will be specific to your intended use. The bolt gun that I was building ended up being more expensive than what I was guided towards.

Just an exceptional experience.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
My passion for firearms other than wing shooting shotguns has grown into something of an addiction as of late. Whether it is modifications to my beloved AR-15 or the love of my M1 Garand, I am constantly searching for a new purchase. With the recent passing of the 'porkchopper' law in TX I've decided that I am in need of a dedicated .308 semi-automatic rifle that I can use for a number of different disciplines. It needs to be something that is accurate to 400 yards and that I can mounts various optics and a bipod if needed. I wanted to start a thread in order to get input from the very knowledgeable members on the board.

Due to my love of the M1 Garand, my first choice at the moment is a M1A. Its a simple but accurate rifle, but my worry here is weight. Second choice is a AR based .308, of which there are numerous manufacturers to choose from.

Here's one idea:
Remington® R-25™ Tactical Semi-Auto Rifle, Semiautomatic, Centerfire Rifles, Shooting : Cabela's

I'm in the process of setting up a heli-pig hunting trip for later this fall, so hopefully I can post some tips and reviews further down the line.

Many thanks, The JC
Dont buy an M1A it is too proprietary, my choice for low end is the Bushy ORC 308, Owned one accurate as shit and priced right, high end you go La Rue which I have also owned.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by chokeu2
And believe it or not, they will not add or tweak things to drive the price up. They will give guidance that will be specific to your intended use. The bolt gun that I was building ended up being more expensive than what I was guided towards.
I'm looking forward to some pics and thoughts on the gun.

Originally Posted by Marc
Dont buy an M1A it is too proprietary
Could you please elaborate?

Old 09-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
I'm looking forward to some pics and thoughts on the gun.

Could you please elaborate?

You can interchange little to no parts an AR platform 308 has endless options.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Originally Posted by chokeu2
Well... I was going to make a grandiose pitch for the LaRue, but homie here took care of that...

Our work is done here. Go ahead and close the thread...

There isn't a .308 variant built on the black rifle platform that'll out do the LaRue. The only thing that will come close is a Noveske, and they are more than you need to spend.

I have a LaRue, and it is the most accurate AR I've ever fired.

If you're willing to take a chance, check out this new outfit that I just hooked up with, Head Down Products. They're about to release a .308 version.

OR

Check out TacticalRifles.net.
Talk about sweet. and built EXACTLY the way you want it for an incredibly fair price. I'm having them build me a LaPua bolt gun right now.
La Rue baby! ha. That what I mentioned earlier...

Quick Reply: The JC needs a new .308 rifle