Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

The JC needs a new .308 rifle

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Marc
You can interchange little to no parts an AR platform 308 has endless options.
Oh I see, good point

Old 09-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
I'm no expert on the M1A, but I've read they don't have the best barrel life. Something to keep in mind.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Brett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond repute
If it were me I would be choosing between the SCAR 17, LaRue OBR, and LWRC REPR.

For light, compact, and handy I would be looking at the SCAR 17. They balance very well, have a folding stock, and make for a great hog hunting setup especially if you are going to be covering some ground on foot. This is likely the route I will be going with.

For a heavier/beefier setup that fits more of a DMR role with a heavy contour barrel and very good accuracy check out the REPR, especially with the various barrel length options. The OBR could fit somewhere in-between those two depending on which one you get. I hate spending lots of time cleaning, so I prefer gas-piston rifles to DI, especially ones that were designed to be gas-piston rifles from the ground up.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Went to one of our local gun stores today and checked out a number of possible .308 purchases.

(1) REPR - its absolutely awesome! However, its both crazy expensive and overkill for what I'm doing.

(2) M1A - still has a place in my heart, but I think I'm going to go with an AR variant with this purchase. There have been some good points made about the M1A gear being somewhat limited and I've already had to deal with that with my G3.

(3) SCAR 17 - seemed bulky to me (sorry just my opinion) and I'm not a fan of the butt stock

(4) LMT - going to be tough to get my hands on since the UK military order

(5) LaRue OBR - I am leaning towards one of these at the moment. Going to go by their shop in Leander, TX sometime next week to talk to them in person. Plus, they are made in TX!!

Thanks again for all of the helpful responses so far, JC

Last edited by "The JC"; 09-09-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by JC919
(5) LaRue OBR - I am leaning towards one of these at the moment. Going to go by their shop in Leander, TX sometime next week to talk to them in person.
Never mind, they don't allow visitors

Old 09-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Brett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond repute
It's cool that you can check so many of those out in person. LaRue makes good stuff. Isn't the OBR going to be about the same price as the REPR by the time it has similar furniture? I thought they ran about the same, but if it's much less expensive then that certainly makes a difference. Be sure and post pictures of your new hardware and the trophies you get with it.

Here is one that is much different than the rest, the Keltec RFB, a bullpup semi-auto .308. One of my buddies recently picked up the Carbine model. I haven’t gotten a chance to shoot it yet, but he says it’s awesome. I imagine the fit and finish of the others I mentioned before are probably better, but this is in your price range and it just looks like a lot of fun.

Kel Tec CNC

Old 09-10-2011, 12:01 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond repute
I've got three .308 ARs. The REPR, POF and the OBR. They're all very nice but if I could only have one (God forbid)........it would be LaRue's.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:54 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond repute
I have the POF308 and pretty happy with it, but I definitely like my HK .308 rifles more, those darn Germans know a thing or two about engineering ;-)

Larue makes a very high quality product for the money, I can only recall a very low number of complaints from friends, but it was more an understanding of what they were ordering and it was resolved quickly.

Now the question is, what kind of glass are you looking at?

Old 09-10-2011, 01:51 AM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Schmidt & Bender IMHO, or Zeiss. I would steer you towards others, but the S&B's are the best you can get...

Old 09-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond repute
I've been happy with Nightforce's 2.5-10X32 on the .308 ARs.

Quick Reply: The JC needs a new .308 rifle