Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Rifle to Pistol Transitions

Old 04-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Rifle to Pistol Transitions

So, you military folks, best rifle to pistol transition?

YouTube - Transitioning: Rifle to Pistol

This video shows the sling set up I have on my AR. So I would most likely follow this?

From the guy at the club that runs the two gun:

You should be up to speed on transitioning from carbine to handgun, as we often have stages requiring switching to handgun, while retaining the carbine through the rest of the course of fire. Make sure your sling setup is set for transition carry and that you keep muzzle control of the slung carbine/rifle while running the rest of the stage (straight up or down, not drifting back up-range or sideways).

Old 04-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Keep in mind this is my opinion. My well-trained opinion, but my opinion nonetheless.

First, if you are in a fight with your long gun, it's probably because you NEED a long gun. If I go click, then my first move is to tap/rack my primary gun. A pistol will not help unless it's REALLY close (much closer than the 25 yds he mentions).

Second, his transition is painfully slow. My personal recommendation is A) if you have a forward grip, use your support hand to guide the rifle down while simultaneously drawing with your strong hand or B) if no forward grip is there, turn your grip over (hand over) the upper receiver and simultaneously draw.

Third, while he is being very range-safe, in real life, I'd drop my rifle and let it hang and go to the pistol while looking for new/better cover. That's what slings and trigger guards are for. A highly-trained operator can flip the safety while initiating the transition.

I'm no door-kicking gunslinger, but I can quite easily tap/rack my primary AND transition in less than one full second. It's just a matter of practice and knowing your rig. Personally, if I have ANY kind of failure, I'm looking for a new/better piece of cover first and foremost. If the threat is THAT close (i.e. 10 yds or less), then I'll drop everything and go to the pistol.

It's easy to second-guess what people are doing, and there will always be some newer/better/faster/cooler way to do stuff. I personally like the way I do it (I was instructed by some former guys on the pointest tip of the spear), but your mileage may vary. Interestingly, the type of holster your pistol is in may dictate how fast you can transition. It takes zero time to drop your rifle on your sling, but an unfamiliar rig can cost you precious seconds.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Ill get a picture of my setups later today and post it.

I do have the forward grip and I can definately see what your saying, by guiding the weapon down with my forward grip to my side while drawing my pistol with right. I think they are very concerned about the rifle swinging back out of 180 degress towards people behind. But with the grip, I dont see that as an issue as you describe. Seems like a pretty functional and speedy way to transition. Practice ahead!

Old 04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
What Chris said.
Nothing to add on that tasty piece of steak.

You're going to need to figure out what you're comfortable with. But ultimately, most "techniques" are variations on the same theme.

I like Larry Vickers. Check out he does things.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, +1 on Vickers. Paul Howe is really good too. Find what works best for YOU, and drill that until you can do it in your sleep, tired, shot, hurt, etc. I won't toss anything else in the pot; it has all been covered, for the most part.