Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

My first purchase after moving to Austin

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
That's a shitty plan... Move somewhere hot as hell and twice as humid in the summer, then freezes over in winter? Plus Austin's full of hippies, dude. It's not all guns and belt buckles, my friend...
My car showed 45 degrees this morning in West LA.

Williamson county is no hippie land.

More importantly, like Hoss said, it is still Texas.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Banned
C Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond repute
I too have been thinking about relocating to Austin, for shitz and giggles just did a lil RE search... O M G 350k+ gets you some AMAZING SHIAT, jump into 1/2 mil and it's just crazy....

Old 02-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C Money
I too have been thinking about relocating to Austin, for shitz and giggles just did a lil RE search... O M G 350k+ gets you some AMAZING SHIAT, jump into 1/2 mil and it's just crazy....
I know, for what we spent on this little condo we could have something amazing in an awesome school district.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Banned
C Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
I know, for what we spent on this little condo we could have something amazing in an awesome school district.
I wish I had more confidence in their economy... I know everyone says how stable it is, I just always get this odd feeling that it could end up more like Madison, Wi than like Nashville... Being #3/4 in a state (albeit a HUGE state) just seems scary!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:09 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
That's a shitty plan... Move somewhere hot as hell and twice as humid in the summer, then freezes over in winter? Plus Austin's full of hippies, dude. It's not all guns and belt buckles, my friend...
several valid points

Um, I dunno, never shot the 8" barrel version, but my 16" Sig 556 was nice. I know people complain that it's front heavy, but it was fine for me.
he was making a penis joke.

nice heater btw

Old 02-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
Originally Posted by IIVVX
several valid points

he was making a penis joke.

nice heater btw
Sorry, my homo radar doesn't work so good.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:10 AM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by h20skier
Hey easy on the Cali Liberal Transplants. SoCal hasn't made a final decision on if he's moving or not.

Im sure he'll take offense to that liberal comment
Yeah, the last thing this guy will EVER be is a liberal, but I also know that wasn't directed at me. Mark's right though, I am still undecided on where I am going to buy my house. I do know that it will be in one of these 5 states : TX, WA, NV, FL, or TN. Notice that all are states with no income tax.

Secure can confirm, but I am pretty sure it's just a matter of paying the $200 for each item.

That third picture is from a guy who did the conversion and paid two stamps for the can and the stock.
I do believe, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that the butt-stock is not what makes it a SBR, but the smaller upper receiver. If that is the case, I will be doing both stamps on the same weapon as well just for the option of a can.

Last edited by SoCal; 02-04-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Brett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond repute
The Sig P556, which has a 10" barrel, is sold as a pistol without the need for a tax stamp in pistol form. Adding the buttstock to it is what makes it a SBR since it is now considered a rifle and only has a 10" barrel. It's just Sig's way of making it easy to purchase the P556 and then "construct" a SBR by yourself (after getting the paperwork done of course) without having to send the barrel out to get cut down.

I have a 16" Sig 556 and it's a fantastic weapon at its core. I have put thousands of rounds through mine without a single malfunction of any sort, and I have only cleaned it a few times in its life. It eats anything and everything I can feed it and spits the brass 15 feet with authority. It will keep on running long after a similarly priced DI AR15 chokes due to being dry and/or dirty as I have witnessed in person. Is it perfect? Of course not. It is a very robust design that has unfortunately been plagued by Sig's insistence on using cheap furniture along with some spotty QC early on.

Yes it is a bit more front heavy than a comparable AR but it doesn't bother me one bit and I have carried it across miles and miles of mountain terrain on plenty of long hunting trips. The extra weight in the nose also helps to decrease the muzzle rise and felt recoil compared to a lighter AR. If the extra ~1 pound is too much for you, hit the gym. Sig also now offers the Patrol rifle which has decreased the weight in the nose by ~1/2 pound by using a shorter gas/piston system. This would also be a good SBR candidate if you decided to cut the barrel down.
Sig 556 Patrol

Stuka if you like the Sig get it and shoot the crap out of it, you won't be disappointed. In the unlikely event that you do have an issue crop up you are covered since it has a lifetime warranty.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
^^^

I have a Sig 556 Holo that has the bullet botton and 10/30 mag for CA compliance.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Man, I am so glad I kept my stockpile of 30 round mags.

Quick Reply: My first purchase after moving to Austin