Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Looking for workhorse AR 15

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:59 PM
the angry giant midget
cerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond repute
Looking for workhorse AR 15

I've been considering an AR15 but not sure which manufacturer to choose, so I'm fielding this question here. From personal experience, I suppose I could answer by own question by going for what works for the military (Colt, FNH USA) but I wanted to hear what TS has to say about it.

Among AR15 manufacturers, I'm considering DPMS, SW, Colt, Ruger. what do you guys recommend as a reliable workhorse, especially in a carbine configuration?

It will be my first AR and primarily for range use and target practice, and will be in 556. I'm not willing to spend too much because I'm not a huge fan of the AR15, but I'd like something solid that can take some stress (gas piston).

Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Aaahh... You're timing is good sir.

Look at LMT. They have a rather fine gas piston AR at an incredible price point. LWRC and POF isn't doing anything that LMT is not, and they're charging far more. Check out the LMT.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:22 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Montana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond repute
Why gas piston?

LMT make a fine lower, the likes of a Colt is probably overkill for what you want it for, and the pricing is too. Rock River also make a very ice lower with one of the best standard triggers on any lower.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Brett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond repute
I have been very impressed by my buddies LWRC M6A2 in 6.8 SPC. Excellent fit and finish, very very accurate, 100% reliable, no carrier tilt problems. If I were looking for a gas piston AR my money would be going to LWRC. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:32 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
I have an LWRC, have fired POF, and have some friends in the management at LWRC. GREAT platforms to be sure, but rest assured that there is a premium placed upon the name. The company's that have gotten into the gas piston game are solid company's.

Montana, to your question about "why gas piston?". Realistically, outside of paramilitary use, these platforms will exceed most people's ability to abuse them. That said, since most have the luxury of splitting hairs and putting our individual religion into what we own, gas piston for my money and experience, is my personal preference.

Simple reality is that gas piston is easier to maintain, simpler to operate, and in the long run, more reliable. Now again, this is splitting hairs. But it is my preference. This preference comes from military experience where sand seems to be omnipresent. And I spent a lot of my time carrying an AK variant, and it served far more reliably, and it was far easier to maintain.

Doc, what do you want to spend on this? That is a good place to start.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:28 PM
the angry giant midget
cerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond reputecerberus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
I have an LWRC, have fired POF, and have some friends in the management at LWRC. GREAT platforms to be sure, but rest assured that there is a premium placed upon the name. The company's that have gotten into the gas piston game are solid company's.

Montana, to your question about "why gas piston?". Realistically, outside of paramilitary use, these platforms will exceed most people's ability to abuse them. That said, since most have the luxury of splitting hairs and putting our individual religion into what we own, gas piston for my money and experience, is my personal preference.

Simple reality is that gas piston is easier to maintain, simpler to operate, and in the long run, more reliable. Now again, this is splitting hairs. But it is my preference. This preference comes from military experience where sand seems to be omnipresent. And I spent a lot of my time carrying an AK variant, and it served far more reliably, and it was far easier to maintain.

Doc, what do you want to spend on this? That is a good place to start.
Exactly. You never know where life takes you and when that reliability will prove life saving. Nuff said.

Well just one day into this and I've been linked up with a local guy who has FFL and works with police and other professionals looking to buy, and promises a good discount. I'm going for the higher end boomstick with this dealer, probably LWRC, RRA, SIG. Doing some research on this now.

I may also pick up a little something today from a local shop... more to follow.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Brian will give you the best solid advice, one thing I can tell you is don't go SIG they are good guns but too proprietary.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:47 PM
TeH Ears
Doc, do not overlook Robinson Arms. The XCR is an excellent platform, and its modular nature gives you lots of room to be "creative".

Marc is right re: SIG. Excellent weapons, but the proprietary nature, and somewhat strange weight distribution may feel strange.

One thing is for sure, enjoy the process of finding the right piece! Quality over quantity is the way to go, and you're on the right track.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
Solid manufacturers: Colt, LMT, LWRC, Noveske. Bravo Company Mfg seems to have good rifles these days too.

You don't have to get a piston rifle. If you're going to be running a suppressed set up you may want to look into one though.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Brett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond repute
I currently have a Sig 556. It is a very reliable rifle and has never once malfunctioned. Dirty, hot, dry, it doesn’t care, it just keeps on eating ammo and spitting it out with authority (mine throws brass nearly 20 feet). Unfortunately the 556 is plagued by Sig insisting upon putting cheap furniture on it. I added the SWAT rail and Magpul UBR stock and now mine is solid. Also, QC has been a bit iffy on them. So if you get a good one, it's great, but otherwise you may have to send it back to get issues resolved with mixed results. So although I love my Sig 556 now that I have it completely squared away, and they are getting really cheap now, I would probably recommend you spend your money elsewhere if this will be your only EBR (evil black rifle).

Now, Sig also has just released their 516, which is a piston driven AR. It looks like a pretty decent player in an already saturated market, but I don’t see them doing anything new/different other then slapping the Sig logo on it. It’s also too new to know how the quality really stacks up, so if it were me I would go LWRC instead until the 516 is a bit more mature.

My 556: