Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

concealed carry response to active shooter

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:47 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
concealed carry response to active shooter

This is an essay written by a friend of mine, and bias aside, I think that it is one of the best commentary's on mind set; plus response regarding civlian actions if they are in an active shooter situation.

In recent weeks, with active shooter events having occurred at a mall, a church and as children got off a school bus, I've seen some postings in various online forums from civilians who hold concealed carry permits asking, "How should we react to this?" The question they are asking, in general, is what they should be doing if they're on the scene and the shooting starts. I was at first conflicted as to how to answer this question. Then, having developed an answer, I strongly prefaced it with "this is just my opinion". There are far too many "what if"s that come into play when considering a response to an active shooter - even for police officers who are off duty. Those "what if"s multiply ten fold for a civilian who is legally armed and happens to be on hand when a shooting starts. What to do?

First and foremost, it is absolutely unacceptable to get caught in public in need of a gun without one when you are legally empowered to carry one. SO... if you have a carry permnit, CARRY. Of course, by encouraging any CCW permit holders to carry I'm assuming that they are competent. More on that below, but for the purposes of this article, understand I'm assuming that all CCW permit holders USE IT.

My perspective as a police officer:

Since my first and foremost duty as a police officer is to protect innocents, I believe that I also must support a person's right and responsibility to defend themselves. With that said, if a civilian finds him or herself in the vacinity of an active shooter situation, I believe their priorities should be to:
1) Move to cover. If you can get yourself and your family out of the killzone then you can survive. It's that simple. The bonus is that if you escape the killzone with any good information, like a description of the shooter or his/her last known location, then you're an asset to the police.
2) Engage the shooter as necessary to protect innocent life. This is a stickler. With more states passing "Stand Your Ground" laws it's easier to legally justify taking a position of cover and putting rounds into the bad guy. However, it is the responsibility of the CCW Permit holder / civilian responder to insure that they are in compliance with all state laws. There are also considerations about identification once law enforcement professionals start to respond.
3) Immediately holster or drop your weapon upon the arrival of police / deputies unless you are actively engaged with the bad guy. Unfortunately, for the responding police, there is no quick and easy way to tell who's the good guy and who's the bad guy. Two shooters are two shooters. For that very reason, I highly recommend you concentrate on seeking cover FIRST, because then when the cops show up you can drop your gun and start shouting, "I SURRENDER!" at the top of your lungs.

Of course, there are no guarantees on police response or reaction. The sight of a badge will usually slow most cops down before they start shooting, so I encourage all legally empowered CCW Permit holders to seek out such badges. These badges must NEVER say "police" or "sheriff" on them. That's impersonating the police. That's illegal. Bad thing. However, in various handgun-oriented magazines I've seen advertisements for CCW Permit Holder badges. If you can get one, make sure it's prominently displayed as quickly as you can if the shooting starts.

My perspective as an American:

Give the growing proliferation of terrorists in the world - even if they are "only" the homegrown stupid type - gone are the days when you can expect the police to always take care of you or your family. In the end, the final responsibility for your safety and the safety of your family falls to YOU. Do what you have to do. Get your family to cover. Use your weapon to defend your position. Engage Active Shooters as necessary to protect your life and the lives of your family members. If YOU choose to extend your circle of protection to other innocents then I commend you. Before doing so you must carefully measure and be sure of what you're trading off: ammo count; legal defensability, etc.

Statistically speaking, 1/3 of our citizens could be legally armed. In my perfect world that means an active shooter with ten people around should have three turn and fire him up the minute he gets stupid. Don't we all wish...

From the Warrior perspective:

NO ONE... and I mean NO ONE threatens me, my family or other innocents while I stand idly by and do nothing. Screw that. I'm not prey. I'm the predator. I don't GET HUNTED... I GO HUNTING. This is primary before everything else.

My family has all been taught that if something bad goes down in public they are to separate themselves from me as quickly and safely as possible. My wife KNOWS I'm going TO the shots, not away from them. If my wife could legally carry then she and I would BOTH go to the shots while our son got away.

I REFUSE to simply escape. No sh*thead is going to hunt people when I'm around and can do something about it. Further, I have no intention of ever attempting an arrest unless the circumstances are strongly in favor of it. An active shooter who has been shot and is laying, gun in hand, is still a threat.

Active Shooters get neutralized (read SHOT REPEATEDLY). Obviously, if there are five of them and one of me, and they have AK-47s and I have my 1911, tactics are a huge consideration. But, and I've said this in my other articles, every shot they shoot at me DIDN'T GET SHOT AT AN INNOCENT OR A CHILD. I took one oath to protect and defend and another to protect and serve. Both have PROTECT in them and I will as long as I'm physically capable. All else is a secondary consideration.

That's MY outlook as an American and a warrior. YOU have to choose YOUR outlook.

With all of the above in mind, I offer this:

Carry, carry, carry. If you can legally carry then CARRY. I can't help but remember the story about the guy in Texas whose son died while his gun was safely stored in the glove compartment of his pickup truck. As a friend of mine is fond of saying, "The .25 in your pocket is better than the .45 in your car." CARRY CARRY CARRY

I also have to admit my own stupidity when, walking the dogs in my own neighborhood on a beautiful afternoon, my dogs were attacked by a pit bull that had escaped the confines of his owner's house. In less than a minute that pit bull had attacked my smaller dog, and once we got the pit of our dog, he kept circling trying to find a way to get back in to attack either my dogs or my son (who was nine at the time). I had chosen not to put on a gun because we were just going for a fifteen minutes walk around the neighborhood. CARRY CARRY CARRY

Practice, practice, practice. Practice shooting. Practice communications. Practice tactics. Practice jams and reloads and wounded shooter drills. There's a reason why carpenters and electricians and plumbers have apprentice periods. Achieving basic competence with your handgun is not sufficient. You must practice with it until handling it is second nature; deploying it is instinctive; exercising good judgment and tactics with it in your hand is just a part of who you are.

Another question asked in a forum was about the value of martial arts in such situations. Unless you are within three feet of a shooter before he starts shooting, martial arts are completely useless. Your empty hands, or the most skilled feet in the world, do not stop or deflect bullets. I'm no superman, but I've been doing law enforcement work in some way, shape or form for about 25 years now. I have no intention of going hands on with someone unless:
1) they are already lying in a spreading puddle of blood with no weapons in their hands, or
2) they are within five to six feet when they start their attack.

In most cases distance is our friend. The farther away we get the more we increase the chance they'll miss us and we'll hit them. WE ARE TRAINED - hopefully they are not. By this reasoning, all types of martial arts or other defensive tactics training is marginal at best.

Recognize that instances of active shooters are accellerating. We had a whopping seven school attacks between 1891 and 1970. Since then we've gone from one every three years to three each year to fourteen in '06 and 17 or 18 in 2007. Malls are going to be popular targets as are churches and schools. Anywhere a shooter can get a large group of people to shoot randomly into with a perceived low level of threat to the shooter will become a targeted area. CARRY CARRY CARRY. Carry at least one spare magazine. Carry an effective flashlight. Get trained to use both effectively. If you regularly shop or travel with a friend who carries, cross train with them. Work out tactics. Insure you know who's a warrior and who's not. It makes a HUGE difference when you want to aggressively attack dependent on your backup and your "friend" is going the other direction.

As I said at the outset, this is all MY OPINION. I'd dearly love to hear the opinion of others, so share them please.

Stay Safe!

Insert by choke: My commentary regarding the notion of being a "warrior". Many guys like to fancy themselves a "warrior", but one cannot be a warrior if you do nothing to earn the title. Going to the gym and getting in shape, looking good doesn't make you a warrior, it doesn't make you tough; it just makes one look good, it makes one a poser.

A warrior trains to be able to respond to a situation, any situation that could threaten himself, or more importantly, family. The days of men knowing how to protect their family's are gone. Sadly, most rely on the telephone and the police to protect them, which is unfortunate because the police have no obligation to protect. We've sloughed off the notion of taking responsibility for protecting our family's in favor of someone else doing it.

Every man needs to get his ass in shape, go to the range often, have a basic understanding of self defense, have a clue what situational awareness is; and simply man up.

Rant over...

Last edited by chokeu2; 02-18-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
jstgermaine is an unknown quantity at this point
A nice thought out essay.

I do not consider myself a warrior by any means but I do carry everywhere I am legally able to do so and spend many hours a month at the range.

I refuse to allow my family or myself to become victims. Ever.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:13 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Great response brother, and actually, if more guys took your attitude; then we'd have that ethos warrior ethos back. Any man that takes the time to practice, and prepares for such contigencies, is a warrior.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:56 AM
CLS
Teamspeed Senior Member
CLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond repute
Very well thought out essay.....I agree very much with the writers beliefs and opinions. I would very much like to be able to have CCW permit but California has made it just about impossible to posses one.

I do not ever want to be a victim and run through my mind scenarios when I am out in the public what if scenarios to give my family and myself a chance of survivorship if something was to happen. It might not be enough when it comes down to it but it's better then walking around with blinders on.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:59 AM
TeH Ears
Originally Posted by CLS
walking around with blinders on
Man... that is 90% of the problem right there. Well said. If people would stop and realize that they're not walking around in an isolated world, that someone can get to them; predatory, physically violent attacks would drop dramatically. A predator wants an easy mark, which is something that someone who is at least situationally aware, is not.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
h_sach has a reputation beyond reputeh_sach has a reputation beyond reputeh_sach has a reputation beyond reputeh_sach has a reputation beyond reputeh_sach has a reputation beyond reputeh_sach has a reputation beyond reputeh_sach has a reputation beyond reputeh_sach has a reputation beyond reputeh_sach has a reputation beyond reputeh_sach has a reputation beyond reputeh_sach has a reputation beyond repute
I am certainly guilty of not carrying as much as I should. I have also stopped going to the range as much. I keep saying I will start going more, but keep finding excuses to delay. Very good read, gives me the push I need to start practicing again. My wife and I are both CCW holders and recent happenings in our city have certainly brought up the topic of protection/self defense. A telephone will never be a good defensive weapon. The police are there to help but the true first responders are the citizens in trouble.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
tamaneri is an unknown quantity at this point
I REALLY enjoyed reading this article..

I've been thinking about getting a license to carry a weapon. However, I have no experience with a handgun.... Where does one start?

Old 02-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Teamspeed Member
D-VO is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you Illinois... my right to carry has been DENIED!

Old 02-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond repute
With all due respect, Brian, I think your cop friend needs to get off his pedestal. Unless he's in the military, he's a civilian. He's bound by the same laws and restrictions and has the same constitutional empowerment as every other civilian. The only difference for your friend is that, as a sworn peace officer, he is duty bound to respond certain situations. Similarly, as a physician, I'm duty bound to provide medical aid in emergency situations. Within the realm of protecting our own safety, we "professionals" can be stripped of our privileges, and in some cases civilly and criminally held for any shirking of these duties.

That said, his advice is for the most part sound. Take cover, get as safe as possible, and dispose of the bad guy as quickly as possible. Don't expect first responders who are putting their lives at risk to be able to discriminate a good samaritan from the bad guy.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:47 PM
TeH Ears
Not a bad point AJ, and I can certainly see how his essay would be viewed as a pedestal, completely. Thinking about your point further, I think that such a perspective would be important for guys like my buddy to get a grasp on; simply because at times they do come off as being on a "pedastal", which means that there is a very likely chance that no one is going to try to see his perspective. And if no one see's the perspective that they need to take some common sense approaches, then their chances of being a "victim" can rise.

A very double edged sword, great point.

Quick Reply: concealed carry response to active shooter