Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

concealed carry response to active shooter

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
tamaneri is an unknown quantity at this point
How would I even go about doing any of this? Should I start by just going to the range?

Old 02-18-2008, 02:05 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Bluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond repute
The one thing that stuck out was the CCW badge comment - I don't see the point in it. While they're perfectly legal in most states, they're way more trouble than they're actually worth.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:06 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tamaneri
How would I even go about doing any of this? Should I start by just going to the range?
Absolutely! That would be a great way to give yourself a wake up call. That will be a good guage of what you need to learn. Another good way is to be very aware of your "presence" when in public. i.e., when you walk down the sidewalk, do you walk to the side, looking eye to waist level? Or do you walk down the middle of the side walk head up, chest out, shoulders back, looking around and paying attention to your environment? That simple action will alleviate most problems. A predator is looking for that easy, unsuspecting mark; not the one thats paying attention, seemingly able and willing to make some noise and/or fight back.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:07 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bluestrike2
The one thing that stuck out was the CCW badge comment - I don't see the point in it. While they're perfectly legal in most states, they're way more trouble than they're actually worth.
Totally agree with that! I'd actually say thats hokey...

Old 02-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by chokeu2
Absolutely! That would be a great way to give yourself a wake up call. That will be a good guage of what you need to learn. Another good way is to be very aware of your "presence" when in public. i.e., when you walk down the sidewalk, do you walk to the side, looking eye to waist level? Or do you walk down the middle of the side walk head up, chest out, shoulders back, looking around and paying attention to your environment? That simple action will alleviate most problems. A predator is looking for that easy, unsuspecting mark; not the one thats paying attention, seemingly able and willing to make some noise and/or fight back.
Funny that you ask! I'm always aware of my environment, always looking for the next safest place to go in the event of an arising issue. Rarely am I walking around not giving a shit about what's around me. I'm never safe, and that's the mindset I've grown up with. Everyone is a possible threat.

I think I will take it upon myself to get to the shooting range and learn myself how to use a pistol.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:20 PM
TeH Ears
Great idea bro. And what you'll find is that it is one hell of a lot of fun, and also a great release. Being good with a firearm gets to that part of the brain that makes you think differently. It makes you think of ultimate outcomes and what if scenarios that you may not have considered before. It may sound overly metaphysical, but spending time on the range, getting good with a firearm is great for opening up new perspectives.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
I wish I had someone that would like to go with me! Someone that already knew the ropes, that way I don't develop any bad habits!

Old 02-18-2008, 02:31 PM
TeH Ears
I wish I had someone that would like to go with me! Someone that already knew the ropes, that way I don't develop any bad habits!

Tam, if you research properly, you'll do just fine. Shooting like anything else, in that if you master, or get real good at the fundamentals; everything will work very well.

**edit: here is a video that is absolutely golden.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

Last edited by chokeu2; 02-18-2008 at 02:35 PM. Reason: add vid link
Old 02-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by chokeu2
Go to google or youtube video and search for Todd Jarrett. There is a five minute instructional video that is absolutely golden.

actually, hold on, I'll see if I can get it real quick...
Thanks man! Appreciate it. You go to the range alone often?

What costs am I looking at? Do I need to own a gun to go to the range?

Old 02-18-2008, 02:39 PM
TeH Ears
Thanks man! Appreciate it. You go to the range alone often?

What costs am I looking at? Do I need to own a gun to go to the range?
Nope. Just go to the range and inquire about their rentals. Rent a double action (most likely a Glock or an XD), and then rent a single action; get to know the differences in the respective "trigger squeeze". Focus on proper grip and trigger squeeze, relax, hold the gun like you would an egg; firm, but not too hard.

Do not let a range bunny tell you what you need. You need to learn what is most comfortable for you. No one can tell you what gun is best for you, and damn sure don't buy a gun simply because of a name. There are few guns that set paradigms. Glog is one of them in regards to combat tupperware, and Kimber is another as far as 1911's. Take an opinion for what it is worth, nothing; especially considering this is dealing in learning to use a tool that could save or cost you your life.

Go back and forth between double and single actions, as many as you can. Put lots of rounds down range, then start to form an opinion on what is most comfortable for you. You have the luxury of choosing your tool, law enforcement and military must learn to use what is issued. Choose wisely.

Quick Reply: concealed carry response to active shooter