Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

ACOG or traditional?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Neijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond repute
ACOG or traditional?

Stag Arms 2T... I keep looking at the Trijicon ACOG TA31. I don't have any one particular use for the optical; I would like an all around SHTF, long range, short range, used with and without a bi-pod, etc...

There's a lot of outdoors to shoot around here; this is not for the indoor range. Just with that info alone, would you rather have a Leupold, Burris, ATN, Simmons, so many others, or the Trijicon... just so much too choose from. Whadya think?

Old 02-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond repute
The ACOG is very nice. I put mine on my more "long range" (100-300yd) AR that's heavy, has a bipod and 1/2MOA accuracy. It will work for short range but is not anywhere near as fast as the Eotech I have on my lightweight POF carbine. I'm waiting for the new Trijicon AccuPoint TR24 to come out to put on my LWRC M6A2. It's a 1X4 variable and has been getting great reviews from early reports. Should work nicely for close work but can quickly zoom for medium distances. It also has much better eye relief than the ACOG. (you won't feel like your eyeball is going to touch the scope)! It really depends upon what you want your AR to be set up for. Mainly close or mainly distance. I wish there was a magic scope that did it all!

Old 02-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Brett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond repute
I don't have any experience with an ACOG, but I did check out a Leupold Prismatic this weekend:
Leupold 1x14 Tactical Prismatic 30mm Riflescope

For a non-magnified optic I really liked it. The eye relief was very generous compared to most scopes I have looked through, but not as generous as the Eotech. What I did like was that you could still see the reticle if the battery was dead, whereas the Eotech is SOL without a battery of course. The reticle on the Prismatic was also very crisp where the Eotech on it's higher setting was a bit fuzzy. A flip-up magnifier behind the Prismatic may get you best of both worlds.

For something with some magnification and illumination that can still be used at close range on low power, I really like how this option looks (Burris makes something just like it too):
Leupold 1.5-5x20 Mark 4 MRT 30mm Riflescope
But of course you are paying top dollar for it, and I haven't convinced myself to part with that money just yet.
Here is the Burris 1-4x "tactical" scope:
http://www.swfa.com/pc-12453-591-bur...fle-scope.aspx

For something similar at much lower cost, I have been very happy with this Millett:
Millett 1-4x24 DMS Tactical 30mm Riflescope
It has held zero just fine on my Sig 556 rifle, has gotten great reviews on lots of different forums, and the reticle is also visible without battery power. At this price it's easy to afford quick release LaRue mounts and another higher power optic for playing with long range stuff.

Last edited by Brett B; 02-23-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:16 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Best thing you can do is get behind the optic and see what works for you.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Neijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks a lot guy's, I appreciate the input. I know, so much to choose from... Thanks Doc for the AccuPoint review; will have to take a look at that; and Brett for all of the links, REP. I know Brian, so many choices... I'll get behind a few more, and figure out what feels right.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Brett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond repute
Glad to help. I recently went through the same thing, trying to find one optic that does it all is tough. I ended up liking the adjustable ~1.5-5x range optics with some type of illumination. There are plenty to choose from at different price points, and they seem to by very flexible in terms of what you can do with them.

Edit: Let us know what you get and how you like it!