Notices
Supercars Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Zonda, Venom GT, & More Discussion Forum.

New SSC supercar to beat Veyron SS... this summer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 04:14 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
SSC ruined their chances by producing a car that looks like a really bad Diablo replica. It is as simple as that for me.

A lot of supercars have made use of off the shelf components from more average cars over the years but generally have done it in a way that isn't so obvious. Borrowing the headlights from the Ford Focus was a poor decision for SSC - to use them so prominently on the face of the car really hurt the first impression. They've rectified that with a different component on a recent update to the car's styling, but again it still looks like something it isn't and something that it shouldn't be. Hopefully Castriota's involvement can take it to another level.

>8^)
ER

Old 07-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
It's not the use of off-the-shelf bits per se ... I don't care about the Diablo's 300ZX headlights, nor do I mind Aston's Volvo mirrors and key fob.

The problem to me is that the SSC is from a bygone era, when supercars were all about the performance, with no regard to practicality or refinement. It would've been fine against an F40.

And ultimately the problem is ... it has nothing going for it other than some obscure top speed record that 3/4 of car enthusiasts have never heard of. It has no history, no engineering prowess, no styling breakthrough ... it's just a random looking supercar with a bigass V8 engine in it. It's so uninspiring I don't even want to read more about it, I don't know what the engine is, I don't know its specs, I don't know where it's built ... and I can't be bothered to look it up.

Pagani made it in the supercar world because when the Zonda came out, everyone drooled at the level of detail and the interior. You have to have something that sets you apart. Something subjective, something that catches people's attention and imagination ... a soul. 2h after the Zonda came out, I knew everything about it and about Pagani because it piqued my interest.

It sucks for SSC, because the car is built by an enthusiast, but ultimately the car has no soul. It's just another obscure fast looking sporty car that goes way fast. Kinda like the Mosler MT900 or the Saleen S7 or Noble or Ascari or ... well .. a lot of them.

Last edited by Zorro; 07-08-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PMac
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't waste the time building bespoke turn signals either...
And for 1/3rd the price of a Pagani, K'Segg, or Veyron, why would you?

Old 07-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zorro
And ultimately the problem is ... it has nothing going for it other than some obscure top speed record that 3/4 of car enthusiasts have never heard of. It has no history, no engineering prowess, no styling breakthrough ... it's just a random looking supercar with a bigass V8 engine in it. It's so uninspiring I don't even want to read more about it, I don't know what the engine is, I don't know its specs, I don't know where it's built ... and I can't be bothered to look it up.

It sucks for SSC, because the car is built by an enthusiast, but ultimately the car has no soul. It's just another obscure fast looking sporty car that goes way fast. Kinda like the Mosler MT900 or the Saleen S7 or Noble or Ascari or ... well .. a lot of them.
I guess I hadn't quite thought about it that way before but I'm in complete agreement. That really sums the SSC up perfectly.

I don't want to say the founder of SSC took the easy way out when he built this car, or took any shortcuts really, but the thing is, it just doesn't have the same level of sophistication that people have come to expect at this level of performance and exotica.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
silversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond repute
wow, it's almost impossible to argue with these types of opinions...but the ignorance on this thread is just mindboggling. A kit car, no soul, poor fit and finish...*sigh*

Someday soon, you may hear my more articulated opinion on the Aero. For now, I'll leave it at...

It's a masterpiece of engineering. For having 4 digit hp, you can't imagine how easy it is to drive. Low speeds, high speeds, the car is bulletproof. Its details and refinements put it on par with any other supercar manufacturers with much bigger budgets.

I will not deny that it took them time to perfect the car. I'd like to see all you keyboard supercar manufacturers get it right the first time. Go ahead, let's see you draw something up, fabricate it (you can use all of your own parts so as to avoid the dreadful possibility of using someone else's components when easier), wind tunnel test it, crash test it, win a Guinness record and hold it over the likes of Bugatti for two years.

Those of you who simply jump on the "kit car" bandwagon with nothing else intelligent to say...please turn in your enthusiast cards.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:35 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Love this line ... "Those of you who simply jump on the "kit car" bandwagon with nothing else intelligent to say...please turn in your enthusiast cards."

Ben, I am with you about the impressiveness of the SSC as our editor Stuart drove one in a Business Week test and hasn't stopped raving about it since...but I have to say the looks just don't do it for me if were to spend that kind of money on a super-car...thoughts?

Old 07-08-2010, 08:39 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Old 07-08-2010, 08:42 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
You don't need to have the abilities, time, inclination, aspiration and resources to do something better in order to have a negative opinion of someone else's results. That's just a foolish argument.

It's fair to look at the car and say if I did have all those things going for me would I be pleased when I was finished if this SSC was the result and for me that answer is clearly a no.

I think the fairest comparison to the SSC's story is that of Koenigsegg's and frankly their product is nearly as capable and far more appealing. Maybe the Ultimate Aero (awful name by the way) can get there someday, but it's not there now. If you think it is then that's great... for you.

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 07-08-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
shooterblaze is an unknown quantity at this point
I have to admit that when I first saw the car on the Internet years back, I completely wrote it off as a “kit car”. However...after having the privilege of riding in one and seeing the quality of the craftsmanship first hand, I completely changed my mind. It truly is a driver’s super car.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:08 PM
sean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond repute
I heard that you have to buy the motor separate from the chassis. If that were true would that classify it as a kit car?

Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: New SSC supercar to beat Veyron SS... this summer?