Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

GOLF ADVICE... Please school me

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010 | 06:43 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
Ag Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond repute
GOLF ADVICE... Please school me

Hey guys, looks like the inevitable has occurred. I have decided to start playing golf. Most of my friends and colleagues play and I dont want them to all be better than me 10 years from now. I figure I should at least learn to play now while I am physically fit.

I purchased a set of used irons and plan to use those to start with. I figure good equipment will just go to waste at this point anyways. I plan on spending money on getting quality lessons instead. What do you guys think? Is there anything I should absolutely buy the best of? I am a complete noob to golf.

With respect to equipment, any advice on brands? I might as well start getting input on this now.

Old 09-21-2010 | 06:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
go out and demo a bunch of stuff out on a range. it's always different strokes for different folks. no matter what, there will always be something new that will guarantee to improve your game. depending on your swing and stature, custom made sets can be very beneficial.

Old 09-21-2010 | 06:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Jeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond repute
VegasFloyd is probably your best expert on here with regard to golf.

I would say that you are correct that lessons are the best way to spend your money now. The best equipment in the world won't improve bad form, but a great, consistent swing will save you strokes regardless of the equipment used.

My best advice is not to take it too seriously. It is just a game, and you are out there to enjoy yourself. Too many people are throwing clubs, screaming profanities, etc on the course and I am slightly guilty of that when I was in my 20's. Now, if I totally screw up the hole, or the entire game, it's OK. I still enjoy being out there with friends.

Old 09-21-2010 | 07:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond repute
I wont say new clubs will make you a pro, but they do help.

I recently purchased a new driver, updating my old one that was about 7 years old. I couldn't figure out how to find the middle of the fairway with it. Now with my new one, im in the fairway 90% of the time and about 30 yards further.

Like Mr. Kram said, demo a bunch, every club is set up differently.

Old 09-21-2010 | 07:06 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
Ag Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the advice guys. Dont worry about the rage, I'm a pretty mellow guy, even when I'm playing ice hockey.

With respect to "demo'ing" equipment, how is that generally done? I mean, do I go to a store and ask to demo equipment or is there a specific process?

I'm almost scared to ask, but how much does a custom set cost? Also, what is the main reason for going custom? Is it height? I'm about 6'2.

Old 09-21-2010 | 07:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond repute
Up here, we have a place that allows you to demo clubs on their range, you just have to purchase a bucket of balls

Old 09-21-2010 | 07:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
VegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond repute
If you're just getting started I wouldn't worry too much about custom fitting at this point, but if you're 6'2 you'll probably need more upright clubs at some point. If you go to a golf course they usually have some clubs in the pro shop you can demo on the range. Good idea on the lessons by the way, it's better to get started that way before you develop bad habits. As far as clubs, there's really no specific brand that's that much better than any other, you have to just figure out what works for you, just don't waste money on knockoffs. They look about the same, but the technology is garbage.

Old 09-21-2010 | 07:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
demo'ing in a store is worthless. go to a golf course with a range and ask if you can demo a set you're interested in. some places will let you hit rentals they have lying around, they will also have demo days where different manufacturers come in and show their stuff. also, if you have a good relationship with the pro-shop, sometimes they'll just tape up some new clubs and let you hit some balls with them.

Old 09-21-2010 | 07:34 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
Thanks. I'll check out the pro-shop at the course. Luckily, I live in the land of golf courses.

Old 09-21-2010 | 09:10 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
I am NO ONE to give advice, but I'm close to your situation. I just started playing a little over five months ago. Getting a block of lessons from a pro, who started me with putting, then worked up to a full swing was the best way to start. Because of that guy, I've broken 100 already. A good pro, starting you out correctly, certainly seems the way to go. You wouldn't try and teach yourself martial arts, I'd say, as a martial artist, the same applies to this evil, addicting game of Golf.

Quick Reply: GOLF ADVICE... Please school me