Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

GOLF ADVICE... Please school me

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010 | 09:11 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Oh, and listen to Floyd. He is apparently the man with the game around here.

Old 09-21-2010 | 09:27 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
Ag Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
I am NO ONE to give advice, but I'm close to your situation. I just started playing a little over five months ago. Getting a block of lessons from a pro, who started me with putting, then worked up to a full swing was the best way to start. Because of that guy, I've broken 100 already. A good pro, starting you out correctly, certainly seems the way to go. You wouldn't try and teach yourself martial arts, I'd say, as a martial artist, the same applies to this evil, addicting game of Golf.
Let's try to stay in touch regarding our respective games.

Old 09-21-2010 | 09:30 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ag Surfer
Let's try to stay in touch regarding our respective games.
I think that is an excellent idea.

I'll also add this. The other "item" that REALLY helped me a lot was a training club called the "Tour Striker". The friggin thing is amazing. Check it out.

Old 09-21-2010 | 09:34 PM
Teamspeed MVP
Smoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond repute
I can tell you that I've never had a formal lesson and hit the ball pretty sweet! I have my original set of irons that I've played with for 20 years now!! To supplement what others have already spoken about; I would suggest the internet for some amazing tips right out of Youtube.com.. Just type in golf lessons or golf tips and a whole world opens up to you. Remember golf is a game of inches and none more than the 5.5" between your ears. Have fun and relax!!~Pops

Old 09-21-2010 | 09:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
yeah relax. make sure to carry at least one extra driver and putter in the bag for the times you throw either club in a lake or bend it on a golf cart.

Old 09-22-2010 | 10:07 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Raz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond repute
All very good advice here. I've been playing for a couple of years and although I'm not very good, I think I can put in my 2 cents. I never had a formal lesson, but If I was starting now, I would definitely invest in that. Teaching yourself is not the way to go. I've learned that there's a big difference in what you think you're doing in your swing and what is actually happening. I call that "real versus feel". It takes a professional to point these things out and correct them before they become habit.
As far as clubs, It's wise not to spend too much on your first set. However, don't buy a completey crappy set either. Stick with the main stream brands (taylormade, callaway, ping, adams etc). Used is fine, but atleast you know your getting quality clubs and they'll last you a while. Good luck with the game and enjoy yourself.

Old 09-27-2010 | 09:02 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Bullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant future
Best advice I can give you is get a good intro lesson and practice all aspects of the game. I would not over equip yourself to begin and buy a set of iron that are not oversized to
really understand the golf swing. Learning golf can be frustrating, but your first good round will make it all worth it.

For reference I have a USGA handicap of 6

Old 09-27-2010 | 12:15 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
I grew up playing golf in Augusta, GA, so I know a thing or two about the game. My first piece of advice would be for you to go to a reputable club, and ask some of the caddies and the pro shop guy who they would get a lesson from. Talk to that guy, and ask if he does video recording during his lessons. This way, he can point out the flaws during the lesson and after it is over (on film). Your stance, swing, keeping your head down, etc. will be addressed and it will get you on the right track to a good swing. Once you have that going in the right direction, go get fitted for some clubs. Then the best thing you can do after accomplishing those 2 things is to practice, practice, practice. Good luck bro.

Old 09-27-2010 | 03:08 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
Ag Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SoCal
I grew up playing golf in Augusta, GA, so I know a thing or two about the game. My first piece of advice would be for you to go to a reputable club, and ask some of the caddies and the pro shop guy who they would get a lesson from. Talk to that guy, and ask if he does video recording during his lessons. This way, he can point out the flaws during the lesson and after it is over (on film). Your stance, swing, keeping your head down, etc. will be addressed and it will get you on the right track to a good swing. Once you have that going in the right direction, go get fitted for some clubs. Then the best thing you can do after accomplishing those 2 things is to practice, practice, practice. Good luck bro.
I just confirmed that the lesson will include video taping of my swing (with a "free" DVD). Thanks for your advice! Lesson is scheduled for 10/2. Wish me luck!

Old 09-27-2010 | 04:03 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Good luck. Fun times are ahead.

Quick Reply: GOLF ADVICE... Please school me