Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Great Article - BYU Wins With Honor Code and Without Sex

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Great Article - BYU Wins With Honor Code and Without Sex

I did my undergraduate work at BYU and am a Mormon.

I really enjoyed this article by Greg Doyel at CBS Sportsline.

There is one inaccuracy: Neither BYU nor the Mormon Church forbids drinking herbal tea. We only forbid drinking caffeinated black teas.

Source: Old-school BYU wins with honor code and without sex - CBSSports.com.

Last edited by Barrister; 04-21-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Teamspeed Member
Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
That is a good article...

Old 04-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond repute
i wonder how they know if the students are drinking, smoking, etc....

Old 04-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LAZY TURBO
i wonder how they know if the students are drinking, smoking, etc....
Well, it's called an "honor code" for a reason. The students largely police themselves.

Each year you must have an interview with your ecclesiastical leader during which he asks if you are living by the honor code. It is up to your own conscience whether or not to answer honestly.

Most do. Some don't.

During my time at BYU, I rarely ever saw any infractions of the honor code.

People take it very seriously.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
It's important to remember that BYU probably attracts students who live by those standards (not necessarily scholarship athletes, however) and are willing/desiring to continue doing so. I doubt they consider it a hardship to follow sincerely the consequences and implications of their religious beliefs.

The school I attend has an honor system, as well, although it isn't based on a particular religious belief. There's no codified rule, but the common phrases are:

"We have only one rule here - to act like a gentleman at all times"

"On my honor I have neither given nor received any unacknowledged on this _________ (assignment)" - pledged to everything handed in

"I promise not to lie, cheat, or steal, or tolerate those who do"

It's a single sanction system and there's usually ~1 student removed each year (out of 1800 undergrads, 400 law students). That said, I don't think that my peers are systematically more virtuous than those at other schools, but the small size and student body homogeneity discourage theft, especially. For example, there's no need to steal someone else's Rolex or new iPad when basically everyone has all the expected accoutrements already. Still, I appreciate the freedom it affords.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
David is absolutely correct.

I would say that 98% of all applicants to BYU are already devoted Mormons.

But this is also a reason why BYU has very little tolerance for any infractions.

Since you knew about the honor code and made a conscious choice to go to BYU, you are expected to abide by it religiously (no pun intended).

BYU does attract a few non-Mormon scholarship athletes - particularly on the national champion men's volleyball team.

Football doesn't really need many non-Mormon recruits. Much of Tonga and Samoa is Mormon.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
David is absolutely correct.

I would say that 98% of all applicants to BYU are already devoted Mormons.

But this is also a reason why BYU has very little tolerance for any infractions.

Since you knew about the honor code and made a conscious choice to go to BYU, you are expected to abide by it religiously (no pun intended).

BYU does attract a few non-Mormon scholarship athletes - particularly on the national champion men's volleyball team.

Football doesn't really need many non-Mormon recruits. Much of Tonga and Samoa is Mormon.
Growing up in Hawaii allows me to vouch for this statement.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by STLG
Growing up in Hawaii allows me to vouch for this statement.
This would be very true.

Did you know that Mormon missionaries invented the Luao?

Old 04-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Jeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond repute
I have to say that the author comes across as an obnoxious, condescending, a$$hole. It's like he never met someone with morals and honor, and doesn't know what to make of them. Jerk.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Jeff_NJ
I have to say that the author comes across as an obnoxious, condescending, a$$hole. It's like he never met someone with morals and honor, and doesn't know what to make of them. Jerk.
I agree.

What is amazing is that BYU's standards are really old news.

The guy must have been living under a rock.

Quick Reply: Great Article - BYU Wins With Honor Code and Without Sex