Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Shaq Traded To Cavs

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:00 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Shaq Traded To Cavs

Does this guarantee the Cavs a title?

Does Shaq have anything left in the tank?

Does this create world's new best comedy duo?

Sources: Phoenix Suns agree to send Shaquille O'Neal to Cleveland Cavaliers - ESPN

Old 06-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Trades all around this summer...

Old 06-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Is Shaq still good enough for anyone to care? No, seriously. I don't follow basketball and I'm wondering.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think this is a good move for the Cavs. LeBron likes to drive to the hoop for many of his points and Shaq likes to camp out down on the low post. Shaq will clog up the lane and he will demand the ball. I just don't see him subordinating his game down to being a role player and staying out of LeBron's way. On a positive note, Shaq is an excellent passer out of the post, and he is big and strong enough to help against Dwight Howard who killed them in the playoffs.

In all, it saddens me to see that one of the top 10 players of all time who is the most dominant center in the last 20 years dwindle down to being nothing but trade bait being passed around from team to team. He should have hung it up a few years ago. He is not going to win another title unless he joins the Lakers, which is never going to happen.

The teams to look out for next year will be San Antonio and Boston. The Richard Jefferson trade makes San Antonio a real strong team with 4 guys who can score. Boston is looking to make some moves, but I'm not sure if trading Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo is the way to shore up their weaknesses.

Despite nice runs in the playoffs this past season, I can almost guarantee that Orlando will not be in the finals again next year, Denver will not be as good, nor will Houston.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
although shaq's skills have slowly dimished over time, he is still effective on both ends of the court and has at least one more good year in him. i would have to agree, however, that he is probably not the best fit for cleveland. i think the cavs need a couple of larger perimeter guys.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
He's going to ruin the dynamic of that team the same way he did in Phoenix.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Benefits to Cavs
Excellent passer for a big man
Has won titles before
Can body up Dwight Howard

Drawbacks for Cavs
Will clog up the middle, he plays on low post
Only effective 50% of games
Lazy and usually not in shape
Will demand at least 15 to 20 touches a game, which means 12-15 shots a game
Has an ego bigger than LeBron's
Not signed with Nike, so no Shaq puppet on the commercials

Old 06-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
He's really been making the rounds over the last few years.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
I'll play Devil's advocate here, and say that I think this is a great move. I DO think Shaq will subordinate his role, and will get in shape for one last run at another championship. I think viewing himself as the missing piece of the puzzle for LeBron will provide all the stroking his ego needs. And defenses having to guard Shaq down low will open up more opportunities for LeBron, whose game has become much more versatile.

I think there's a good chance this will prove to be a major bonus for Cleveland.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
fusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond repute
Dwyane Wade's game since he came in to the league involved a lot of slashing to the bucket, and he & Shaq did OK enough on the court together to win a championship (with some help from the refs). Shaq certainly was the #2 option during much of the Heat's run to the title.

Shaq will get along just fine with Lebron, both on and off the court. Shaq will get 10 points a game just off of dunks and layups created by Lebron when Shaq's defender leaves him to defend Lebron's forays to the hoop, as well as open putbacks off of Lebron's misses. Post up Shaq on the opposite side of the lane from where Lebron is set up, and he'll have great position down low when Lebron/the Cavs swing the ball to the other side of the court and Shaq's defender doesn't have the time to front him or push him off the block.

If the "experiment" doesn't work, Shaq's expiring contract will give the Cavs great flexibility at the trade deadline, or will give them salary cap room to go after Chris Bosh or someone else to try and pair with Lebron.

Quick Reply: Shaq Traded To Cavs