Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

John Madden Retires

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TUUNER
^^Yeah, I'm a joke when it comes to athletics...never played, etc...I'm pathetic...what is this "football" you speak of??? Teach me from your experience...
I am fat and not very athletic. But I have FORGOTTEN more about football than you have ever known my friend.

Last edited by Barrister; 04-16-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond repute
^^I'm a moron

Old 04-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Go get a room you two...

Old 04-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
^^I'm a moron
No you're not. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Your knowledge base just isn't very useful.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
I am fat and not very athletic. But I have FORGOTTEN more about football than you have ever known my friend.
I'm one of those weird ones...instead of watching the sports...I played the sports...

...on Nintendo

...and maybe in real life...

Old 04-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
I don't doubt it. Now go start your Yugo with the Rolls' key!

Old 04-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
I don't doubt it. Now go start your Yugo with the Rolls' key!
How dare you, sir! You know fully well that I am partial to Kia. I hereby challenge you to a duel at 20 paces, post-haste!!!

Old 04-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
How dare you, sir! You know fully well that I am partial to Kia. I hereby challenge you to a duel at 20 paces, post-haste!!!
Just a flesh wound!

Old 04-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
fusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond repute
Madden was good up until about 5 years ago. Then he started sounding like his video game - repeating the same things over and over again. I thought that Pat Summerall carried him for many years and when Pat got canned (a travisty) Madden really had to carry the load himself. He was never comfortable in that role and it showed.

He was a great coach and a good broadcaster. He once was the definition of "old school" football mentality - he hasn't been that for a while now.

He will be missed, but it is about time.

Here is the ESPN article on the subject:

John Madden Retires
I honestly believe that the success of his Madden NFL game franchise deleteriously affected his performance in the broadcasting booth. Remember that JM is not exactly a spring chicken. Though he's not actively involved in day to day developments of each forthcoming edition, he is involved on the business and promotional end of things. Basically, he works a lot for an older guy.

About 4 years ago, I got to attend a BBQ hosted by JM at his HQ in an office park here in the Bay Area, and several things struck me:

1) Madden NFL is a juggernaut of a business, based upon how his HQ was set up.
2) JM is getting on in years. He's a big guy physically, and little kids are oftentimes scared of him (sharp features, shaggy eyebrows, hard squint to his expression).
3) The celebrated "turducken" that JM rhapsodized about is pretty disappointing to eat. "Tastes like chicken" was the response I heard most often, and I pretty much agreed.

Sometimes I'll come across a classic NFL game that Madden was involved in broadcasting, and I'm always struck by how much more vibrant and engaged Madden used to be.

I agree that he was one of the better broadcasters we'll ever see. Enjoy your retirement, John, and spend plenty of time with your 5 grandkids......