Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

NBA Playoffs - right around the corner

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:52 AM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
mavs advance

Old 04-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by thedude
Bynum just couldn't play the match-ups with Utah... as sloan was going small for long durations of the game. Like Phil said in the Paper today... Bynum will most probably be inserted back into the Starting line-up in the next round. Plus, the second unit is hurting with Larmar starting...

I don't care who we face in the next round... if we play our game, were unstoppable.

Bring on LeCrab-dribble ... aka ... Lebronze ... LeHype
You are dead-on about Bynum, Utah and match-ups. Utah uses a center who hangs out on the perimeter (Okur) and a bruising, banging power forward who does all the dirty work inside (Boozer). Bynum couldn't find himself defensively so he never got into the flow of the game. Boozer was eating him alive inside with his combination of strength and quickness causing multiple fouls very quickly. If Bynum was on Okur, Utah put him way out on the perimeter, making it almost impossible for Bynum to come over and help/block shots. A healthy, 100% Bynum who has his game legs back might have been more effective against Utah. As the playoffs go further, Bynum will get his legs back and by the time we are playing Cleveland, Bynum will be going for 16/12/4 every game.

The Lakers have 2 weaknesses; 1) They lack muscle in the middle, especially at the 4 position 2) They are weak defensively at the point.
Every team that they see in the playoffs are going to try and exploit those weaknesses to their advantage. Aside from Utah and a healthy Boston team, no one has the personnel to exploit those weaknesses effectively across a 7 game series. The Lakers create too many match up problems of their own with their length and skill. This Laker team has unbelievable length and players that use that length to their advantage. The average Laker frontline player has a wingspan several inches longer than their height. Bynum is 7'1" with a 7'8" wingspan, Gasol is similar to Bynum, Odom is 6'11" with a 7'3" wingspan Ariza is 6'8" with a 7' wingspan. There has never been a team with so much length on the frontline. And these guys really use that length to their advantage. They keep the ball up high inside, the offensive rebound, they make quick passes to each other up high for little "alley oop" lay ups and dunks. In short, they are unstoppable.

I am not worried about Bynum getting his legs back during this years playoffs. He will get better with each passing series. The player that is troubling me right now is Jordan Farmar. He is supposed to be Fisher's successor at the point. The steady, reliable rock at the point that doesn't turn the ball over, hits the open shots, pushes the ball when needed and most importantly, contains the opposing team's point guard. In last year's playoff run, Farmar showed real promise he was going to develop into that player. He has taken steps backward this year. We really need him. Fisher is legendary and one of the all time great Lakers, but he is getting old and tired and he needs someone who can effectively relieve him at the PG position.

When the Lakers win it all this year, there will be inevitably be discussions about the greatest team of all time, and the greatest Laker team of all time and where this year's team compares. I am undecided in that regard. One one hand, this team has incredible skill and length, the likes of which have never been seen before in the NBA. On the other hand, this team lacks muscle and strong play at the point. We'll see how it all plays out......

Old 04-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
i know that the Magic are not really taken seriously, and they live & die by their 3pt game, but it was nice to see them play with determination last night. is anyone playing better than Dwight Howard in these playoffs? their track record against Cleveland & LA is pretty good so i will keep dreaming away

- chuck

Old 04-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
thedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by carendt242
i know that the Magic are not really taken seriously, and they live & die by their 3pt game, but it was nice to see them play with determination last night. is anyone playing better than Dwight Howard in these playoffs? their track record against Cleveland & LA is pretty good so i will keep dreaming away

- chuck
I like the Magic.. but you are correct, they live and die by that 3.. instead of living and dying by playing through Big D. If the Magic were healthier, having Jameer Nelson back, they could be the top team in the Eastern Conf. But without Nelson, who was a great shooter, penetrator, and passer... I don't think they can knock of the Crabdribblers. We'll see.

As far as yesterdays games... I was livid that a flagrant wasn't called on Rondo for punching Miller in the face. If that was the other way around, and Miller had gone straight to that Ninja turtles face they would have thrown the big man out of the game.

But that doesn't excuse Chicago, and how they let the Celtics get back into it. You can never count a team out, especially a championship team. One more thing, has anyone in the history of the NBA pushed off more than that Gargoyle Kendrik Perkins? He pushes off on every rebound and screen.

And as far as the Lakers go BigE.... I think they have weaknesses, and if they don't start playing 4 quarters of solid defense, its gonna end up biting them in the ass down the road somwhere. Especially in a 7 game series with the self proclaimed Chosen 1. You don't want to give Stern a chance to sway the game in LeBronz's favor.

Anyways, that my basketball talk for now.

GO LAKERS!

Old 04-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
If the Blazers win game 6, they will take the series, IMO.

I don't think the Lakers are all the hype - definitely a beatable team. And, if (when) they lose, I'll really enjoy watching you guys eat your words and pout.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:40 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by carendt242
is anyone playing better than Dwight Howard in these playoffs?
he likely won't be playing the next game.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond repute

Old 04-29-2009, 03:53 PM
FIGJAM
/\ i think you should be more worried about beating chicago & the cavs.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:55 PM
FIGJAM
Originally Posted by IIVVX
he likely won't be playing the next game.
this just in, howard suspended 1 game for throwin bows

Old 04-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IIVVX
/\ i think you should be more worried about beating chicago & the cavs.
yeah I know... but there aren't T-shirt logos for that yet

and its more of an Anti-Kobe thing... no offense to the city I live in.

Quick Reply: NBA Playoffs - right around the corner