Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

The Official College Football Thread - Come on in!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
JarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond repute
You guys are forgetting the SEC championship game.

An 8 team playoff system would be fine with a schedule like this and base it off of the AP rankings:

Week 1:
R1 vs R8 [Bracket One]
R2 vs R7 [Bracket Two]
R3 vs R6 [Bracket Three]
R4 vs R5 [Bracket Four]

Week 2:
Winner Bracket One vs Winner Bracket Four
Winner Bracket Two vs Winner Bracket Three

Week 3:
Championship Game

Last edited by JarodL; 11-03-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche
I really don't see Alabama losing 2 SEC games at this point. They are in control of their own destiny with only 1 road game left (LSU) and 2 home games (MS State and Auburn). Then again you never know.
i agree that the sec champ will only have one loss at most. this is why i stated earlier that it is bleak for usc concerning the ncg. however, i think florida will take out bama in the sec cg.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
like i said, determining spots based on ap rankings is just like selecting two teams with the bcs formula. at least the bcs formula is a little diversified. what about conference champs? what happens to the regular season? you would have to eliminate at least two games from the schedule. also, what about the teams that don't make it? they lose two possible home games and all associated revenue.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
JarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mr Kram
like i said, determining spots based on ap rankings is just like selecting two teams with the bcs formula. at least the bcs formula is a little diversified.
Well at least this way you give eight teams a shot instead of two.

what about conference champs?
I say get rid of them. Not everyone plays them and the only thing they do is make it more difficult for the teams that play in them. I know their is history there and some teams won't want to give them up, but I think every SEC and Big-12 team agrees they do more harm then good in the BCS standings.

what happens to the regular season? you would have to eliminate at least two games from the schedule.
I think if you eliminate the conference championship games and trim one game off of some of the other teams schedules, that isn't too much of a change.

also, what about the teams that don't make it? they lose two possible home games and all associated revenue.
You can still have bowl games, and I am not saying getting rid of the four major games. Just turn the first 8 teams into a playoff system. Then have the last four games off the playoff system be the Fiesta, Orange, Sugar and Rose bowl with the championship game rotating every season like they do now.

EDIT: No system will ever be perfect, but I think this gives more teams a chance for competing for a national championship. The current system sucks, it has to do more with timing when you lose as opposed to who you lose to.

Last edited by JarodL; 11-03-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
JP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond repute
How the hell does OU put more points they ever have on NB and drop in rankings.This was also true for USC skunking UW and drop in rank. WTF??

My biggest question is if OU and TX win out who will have the line on the big 12 south. TX beat OU and OU would have beat Tex Tech and of course Tex tech beat TX who would have the tie breaker???

Old 11-03-2008, 01:41 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JP-"S"
How the hell does OU put more points they ever have on NB and drop in rankings.This was also true for USC skunking UW and drop in rank. WTF??
5 words JP: Strength of Schedule (ok.. 3 words)

UW is 0-8... beating them by 50+ is mandatory. NEB isn't that much better!

Old 11-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
JP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond repute
Still if you beat an opponent by that much you should not drop.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:51 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JP-"S"
Still if you beat an opponent by that much you should not drop.
Well let's put it this way. USC beats up on a winless team, while Texas Tech defeats #1 in the country. I think it makes sense to move down even after a win as long as the teams below you pulled off an impressive win.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
regarding the rankings, they are based on opinion. it has never been derived out of logic. even as a usc fan, i saw it coming before it happened. they didn't choose to play the washington schools, but they have to pay for how terrible they are. if usc skunks cal and florida struggles against vandy, they may flip flop again. as objective as i can be, florida and usc are the two best teams this year.

regarding the tie breaker in the big 12 south. it is determined by:

head to head (tie)
division record against 4th-6th place teams (tie)
record against common north division opponents (tie)
highest bcs ranking - probably ou if they beat tech and osu.

regarding the playoffs, i'm all for a playoff system, but i still have trouble with the selection process. 8 teams is also too many. there are not 8 teams worthy of a shot - even this year, after the dust settles. i can accept the elimation of conference champs. i think it will hard to convince all of D1 football to give up even 1 home game. the last concern is logistics. fans will make the trip for the one big game. i don't think that there are many that would (or would be able to) make consecutive trips out of town.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
Fulmer resigning at the end of the year.

Official.

Quick Reply: The Official College Football Thread - Come on in!