Notices
Porsches from the Past | General Porsche News Air-Cooled 911's, 928, 944, 924, & All Other Past Porsche Models & News.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 turbo DME Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Teamspeed Member
Andrew708 is an unknown quantity at this point
993 turbo DME Problem

Hey guys..

I have a client with a 1997 993 turbo. The dme has been acting up,and the car doesnt start,once its unplugged,then plugged back in,it starts.Now it wont start.Went to my friend,he put in a stock 993 dme,and car runs..What can be wrong with the dme??Do i have to get another,or can it be fixed..thx in advance

Old 08-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
I've found some places that will repair Porsche DME's, or a recommended fix is stated below-

Auto technicians recommend basically two ways to deal with a DME relay. First, you can carry a spare relay in your glove compartment, ready to be installed whenever the unit fails to avoid being stranded on the way home; second, reinforce the solder joints on a good or failed unit. Steve Grosekemper, shop foreman for Dieter's Motor Sports, recommends adding solder to the joints in the relay's circuit board to keep the heat from breaking the connections. Keep in mind that a diode in the primary circuit may also be the cause of a failed relay. This diode can be removed and replaced with a new one found at most electronic auto parts stores.
From- What Is a DME Relay? | eHow.com

Old 08-26-2009, 03:37 PM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Just get another DME relay - they always break. Repair?! It's like 40 bucks.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Teamspeed Member
Andrew708 is an unknown quantity at this point
your saying that the DME relay is the reason why the car wont start?..remember i put a stock one in the car and it runs fine..the bad one has tuning on it!! who can fix that?

Old 09-22-2009, 12:49 AM
Teamspeed Member
Baron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to all
Jox is right, and for the sake of your customer I would advise him to go back to a stock setup since most programs are complete garbage anyway. If he must have it you can always just get a stock one and send it to a programmer like Softronic (Welcome to Softronic.us) or AWE/GIAC (AWE Tuning - Products) however like I said, your customer's best bet is going stock or choosing a different model to juice like a 996TT with GT3 internals