Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

2011 Formula 1 British Grand Prix Banter Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:03 AM
Teamspeed Pro
bdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond repute
I hear ya, I can only imagine how frustrated Lewis is...his qualifying session was screwed up from the very beginning and it wasn't his fault at all.

In Q1, he used a set of soft tires in the wet towards the end of that session. Then, in Q3 he started off the session on those same used soft tires and set a 2nd-tier lap. They planned on using a fresh set of softs at the very end of Q3, but the weather again got the best of them and he wasted another set of new soft tires on a wet track. I'm not sure if that's completely bad luck, poor strategy, or both.

If I were in charge of selecting tires, I would want my driver to have the best tires available as soon as Q3 started...you can't assume that it'll stay dry for the entire session and wait till the last 2 minutes to set a flying lap on new softs, not when Q1 has already foreshadowed what could lie ahead. Judging by Button's gap to Lewis, I'd assume that's what Button did for strategy...so why didn't Lewis have that same strategy? And isn't the "waiting till the last 2 minutes to set a hot lap" the same strategy that basically ruined Lewis' day at Monaco? If a head should roll at McLaren, I'd vote for the guy in charge of Lewis' qualifying strategy.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:06 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
^ Totally agree and couldn't have said it better myself.

Why didn't they go out early in Q3 like the Red Bulls did??

The track was dry and pretty empty.

I hate getting out-driven and out-thunk.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:13 AM
Teamspeed Pro
bdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
^ Totally agree and couldn't have said it better myself.

Why didn't they go out early in Q3 like the Red Bulls did??

The track was dry and pretty empty.

I hate getting out-driven and out-thunk.
They went out early in Q3, but Lewis brought a knife to a gun fight with those used soft tires. I can't fathom why though. I understand the "getting a lap in" concept, but if the lap only earns you 10th place you're not really protecting your position on the grid at that point. Lewis' strategy man/men was definitely outsmarted by the entire Q3 grid...even a freakin' Cosworth! How he/they didn't know that a used set of softs would cost Lewis a certain amount of time, and that time being slower than the rest of the Q3 grid's times on new softs is beyond me. If I could calculate that (with the right data in front of me, which I'm sure he/they had), then I know he/they could calculate that and realize it was pointless. And for icing on the cake, they wasted another set of softs at the end when it started sprinkling. Hopefully it rains and the soft/hard tire supply will be irrelevant.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:19 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
^ It doesn't look like it is going to rain at this point.

Plus, I hate having to depend on the weather to even the playing field.

In any event, I will be watching the race on Fox. Will discuss the outcome as usual.

At least I kept Massa for this race. I can't believe I just said that.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:24 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Haha, I kept Massa as well. We'll see what happens, the British GP can be pretty unpredictable.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:25 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond repute
The early part of my Fantasy Season was so miserable I haven't checked in on it in weeks. No idea who I have going into the race! LOL!!

Old 07-10-2011, 06:48 AM
Teamspeed Pro
So all the team bosses met this morning before the race to try to come to an agreement of going back to the Valencia GP specs (regulated engine mapping, but no off-throttle diffuser bans). It was almost agreed upon, except allegedly Ferrari and Sauber (Ferrari-powered) declined. Surprise surprise. So now the regulations are still in limbo looking ahead to the next race in Germany.

More here: Formula 1 faces continued uncertainty as teams fail to reach agreement in exhaust rules row - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Old 07-10-2011, 07:10 AM
Teamspeed Pro
BBC's coverage is on.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Teamspeed Pro
It's raining! Not too bad though, but enough to probably second-guess slicks or intermediates if it continues till the start of the race.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:23 AM
Teamspeed Pro
B4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond repute
And the rain has started......

Quick Reply: 2011 Formula 1 British Grand Prix Banter Thread