Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Barrichello: 300 and still not out

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Barrichello: 300 and still not out

From PlanetF1:

Rubens Barrichello can look back on his career and honestly admit he has no regrets.

Barrichello celebrates his landmark 300th grand prix in Belgium this weekend, although there is some dispute over the figure.

The contention centres on what constitutes competing in a grand prix - being involved at some point during a weekend or actually starting a race, as Barrichello has done only 296 times.

But regardless of the issue, Barrichello on Thursday proudly wore a t-shirt with a speedometer as the emblem and the needle hitting the 300 mark.

Put into context, the 38-year-old has competed in 36% of all World Championship races - and there have been 832 - since Formula One began in 1950.

Barrichello admits to feeling "powerful," which he claims disturbs wife Silvana who, according to the Brazilian, is "terrified I'm going to race forever."

Yet despite his triumphs, trials and tribulations over the years, notably during his time at Ferrari when he played second fiddle to Michael Schumacher, Barrichello is happy with his lot.

"The biggest secret is that although you never enjoy difficulties, you smile through them and learn from them," said Barrichello when asked as to the secret of his longevity.

"Every year I've made steps, making myself better as a person, but definitely as a driver.

"I've always been honest with myself. When you make a mistake, you make a mistake, and you say so, and I think the teams I've driven for appreciate that.

"And honestly, I regret nothing because it's been part of making me better, who I am.

"People may say I've not won the World Championship yet, and no I haven't, but I feel I've learned so much and become better all the time, and in life you have to do that.

"Obviously when I was at Ferrari I fought for the same treatment. The day I felt they were not going to give me that was the day I found something else.

"But even during those years the car was better than other cars. I still had the chance to win when I was there.

"I'd been on the other side racing for Jordan and Stewart, and we had so much fun and pleasure, but the cars were not good enough to win races.

"So for those years at Ferrari I can look back and say I had a great time."

For Barrichello, the dream of one day being crowned Champion is the driving force behind his desire to carry on driving, which shows no sign of abating.

"I still aim to be World Champion," added Barrichello, who has 11 victories and 14 poles to his name.

"You may think I'm crazy, but who would ever have said that when I was with Honda in 2008 I would finish on the podium, yet I did.

"So we have to dream of the impossible and hope it will one day become reality."

For that reason, and because of his love for the sport, he has no idea as to when he will one day hang up his racing gloves.

"I don't know. I feel it's going to be a hard decision to say I'm going to stop," said Barrichello.

"But then it's also going to be an easy one based on the fact I'm so honest with myself.

"The day I don't feel a big pleasure taking a corner is the day I will know exactly when to shut down."