Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Rosberg talks up McLaren chances

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:55 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Rosberg talks up McLaren chances

Formula One news: Rosberg talks up McLaren chances - GPUpdate.net Formula One

Speculation has grown stronger in Valencia of Nico Rosberg signing a McLaren-Mercedes contract ahead of the 2010 season. With Heikki Kovalainen under pressure to perform and the Williams driver out of contract at the end of the year, the door is open for the German to rejoin former karting team-mate Lewis Hamilton.

With only seven races to run on Nico Rosberg's Williams contract, the German is one of several drivers linked as a possible replacement for Kovalainen at McLaren for 2010; the Woking squad's team principal Martin Whitmarsh noted this week that, while he is confident that the Finn has remained a highly efficient worker, on-track performances must improve in order to retain his seat.

Rosberg, who had been tipped as a candidate for a BMW drive before the German manufacturer announced its exit at the end of 2009, is one of a number of Germans who could be attractive to Mercedes-Benz, with others including Nick Heidfeld and Adrian Sutil. "I have been team-mate with Lewis before, so that wouldn't be a problem," said Nico of his karting days. "It would be fun and also very tough - a sweet and sour combination."

Thus far, Williams chief Sir Frank Williams has been keen to hold onto the 24-year-old although Nico remains out of contract and free to choose a path come the end of the year. "I would like a good team-mate for sure," he continued. "Team-mate is a factor. Potential for development for the future, who the key people in the team are and the management and everything - all these things come into it - budget, salary they are able to pay; I am prepared to put salary last - that's nowhere near the priority as I really would like to have some good results."

The latter of the comments would no doubt be attractive to any team on the grid although Rosberg understands his current team's desires. "I'm sure they are very keen to keep me on-board," he admitted. "I've done a good job for them and fit in very well with the team and everything so they are pushing to keep me on-board, for sure.

"I have various good options and, at the moment, I am still figuring out what the best way to go is. I am close to having a clear picture now of what the options are but I'm still gathering a few bits and pieces; I had a discussion with Williams last week to clarify what the situation is and I think, sooner or later, I'll be able to progress in a specific direction."

Old 08-21-2009, 09:31 AM
TS Detailing Partner l Atlanta
whitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond repute
I'd like to see Rosberg in the #2 McLaren seat. But I thought McLaren stated they were not talking to anyone as of yet?

edit** just saw P1 times. Heikki knows whats up lol.

Last edited by whitlock; 08-21-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by whitlock
edit** just saw P1 times. Heikki knows whats up lol.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Heikki's got it figured out for the time being. I hope he keeps his seat for at least another season. Rosberg has been looking awfully fast and consistent lately though. Get him in the right car and I could see him delivering quite a few podium finishes.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:12 AM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Heikki's got it figured out for the time being. I hope he keeps his seat for at least another season. Rosberg has been looking awfully fast and consistent lately though. Get him in the right car and I could see him delivering quite a few podium finishes.
Why? I for one do not. He's one of those good drivers who does not deliver consistent times. No disrespect to the guy - earning a seat in a top F1 team is a heck of an accomplishment - but his inconsistent performance is more suited to one of the lower ranked teams. Mclaren shouldn't have wasted this year with him.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:37 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alex
Why? I for one do not. He's one of those good drivers who does not deliver consistent times. No disrespect to the guy - earning a seat in a top F1 team is a heck of an accomplishment - but his inconsistent performance is more suited to one of the lower ranked teams. Mclaren shouldn't have wasted this year with him.
Well, lets see how he finishes out this season. He really did have a god awful start but he seems to have found some pace for the time being.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:55 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
what rosberg has managed to accomplish in a mid grid ride is pretty damn impressive. keep an eye on his times and you will see the pace is definitely there. he is running at the pointy end of the grid in a car that should be where kaz keeps putting it. his race pace has been decent as well. this is a clear example of a guy that needs better equipment under him. he will get it sooner or later.