Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

BMW Hints at DTM Return

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
BMW Hints at DTM Return

I'd rather have them in F1, but this could be cool none the less. Taken from autosport.com as usual. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77580

BMW hints at DTM comeback

By Glenn Freeman Friday, August 7th 2009, 09:00 GMT

BMW has been linked with a switch to the DTM after high-ranking staff indicated that its future touring car activity will not necessarily be in the World Touring Car Championship.

Following the German manufacturer's announcement that it is to withdraw from Formula 1 at the end of this season, this week's AUTOSPORT magazine reports that the company is seeking alternatives to the WTCC, of which it has been openly critical throughout this year.

BMW board member Klaus Draeger said: "We have deliberately spoken about an involvement in touring cars in the broader sense."

The company's motorsport director, Mario Theissen, added: "WTCC is part of the touring car spectrum. It is no secret that we aren't particularly happy about the developments last year and this year, but no decision has been made.

"In any case, we will be present in touring car racing, both with works-supported programmes and in customer competition. We could also imagine other future projects, which we are not ready to talk about yet."

The DTM is seeking to attract a third manufacturer to join Mercedes and Audi, and the series last week announced a freeze on development into 2010 ahead of the introduction of a new set of technical regulations for the 2011 season.

Mercedes driver and joint championship leader Gary Paffett has said he would welcome the addition of BMW to the DTM.

Talking about the possible arrival of BMW in the series in his exclusive AUTOSPORT column, Paffett said: "To have the big three German manufacturers in the series would be awesome. Everyone agrees that we need a third manufacturer and it would be great for the championship if it happens."

Old 08-07-2009, 02:46 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Nice!

that would be a lot more lucrative for BMW

DTM rocks over here....

and they could bring out a street legal BMW M3 DTM version

Old 08-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Clubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond repute
DTM has always been where BMW ruled in Motorsport ! I'm sure if they got in, they would have a championship in no time !

Old 08-08-2009, 05:45 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
that's where bmw should be, F1 was obviously too big an arena for them to stay competitive in. engine supply is one thing, fielding an entire team is quite another. i must say i was disappointed at their withdrawal but i was more dismayed at their refusal to sell the team back to peter sauber at a fair price. not only do they not have the determination to see their F1 effort through, they want to hose the next owner of the team. they are proving more and more they weren't F1 material after all. with the budget cap coming into play any manufacturer in the world could field an F1 team, to leave at this time is not sensible unless bmw are in dire straits and that doesn't seem to be the case. at least honda were honorable enough to deliver the team into capable hands. weak.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Dave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond repute
It would be fun to see BMW in DTM. It's such a great racing series with spectacular races, but with only Audi and MB left, it ruins a bit of the fun. Porsche's got the Panamera now, might as well go for it

Old 08-09-2009, 01:56 AM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
I disagree, this is where they belong. They have always been a touring car manufacturer. F1 was the wrong move.

A E92M3-DTM? I may have my first wet dream.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
DTM and the other touring car series are so fun to watch. I hope SPEED brings coverage back to the US. I was crushed when WRC and DTM fell off the schedule...

Old 08-09-2009, 03:57 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vtgts300kw
A E92M3-DTM? I may have my first wet dream.
+1!!!