Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Branson hints at larger Brawn involvement

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
Branson hints at larger Brawn involvement

After watching his Virgin logos speed to one-two victory at Albert Park, Sir Richard Branson hinted his next step could be into the world of Formula One team ownership.

The British billionaire cut short a family skiing holiday this weekend to jet into Melbourne and announce a hastily-signed sponsorship deal with the new Brawn team.

Branson, 58, hinted the announcement was just the first phase of his new interest in the sport, and he told the BBC on Sunday that he is likely to make the next step in the very near future.

"At the moment we're just sponsors. I mean, one day, Virgin might own a team and name it after itself. We'll have talks," he said.

So fuelled has Branson's interest in the sport been by the Australian Grand Prix success, he decided against attending his own 'V Festival' rock concert in Sydney on Saturday night.

It is believed he also stayed in Melbourne on Sunday night - rather than fly to the Gold Coast for the next 'V' concert - to help Brawn celebrate its Virgin-branded victory.

"They've certainly got me addicted so it'd be a good time to sit me down and have a word about upping my interest," Branson said.

"I'm sure if Brawn GP keep plying me with champagne and putting gorgeous Virgin girls either side of me, you never know. But on a serious note they deserve supporting."

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond repute
Brawn Could Take Virgin Name

Brawn GP could be renamed to carry the Virgin brand name after Richard Branson confirmed the partnership deal with the high-flying Formula One team.

Branson confirmed Virgin's first steps into Formula One in Melbourne shortly before watching Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello seal an all-Brawn GP front row at the Australian Grand Prix.

Virgin nearly bought-up the folding Honda outfit before technical maestro Ross Brawn completed a management buy-out to save the team and continue racing.

From then they have gone from strength to strength and have been flying in practice before nailing pole position at Albert Park.

"I have always said I would love for Virgin to be involved in Formula One, and I am thrilled we will be entering this fantastic sport with people as skilled as Ross Brawn and the Brawn GP team," said Branson in confirming the deal.

"Over the years Virgin has had the great honour of partnering with technical geniuses, and I truly believe Ross Brawn is to Formula One what Burt Ratan is to Virgin Galactic."

Virgin name

Branson added that the Brawn GP team could evolve and be renamed after his Virgin empire, and hopes that a bigger deal can be arranged in the near future.

"It is certainly a possibility. But we will see what happens over the next three or four weeks," Branson added.

"The team does not want to waste the name of the team on something that is not promoting anything, and everybody knows it has a great engineer so the team doesn't need for it be called after an engineer. That may well change, but we will see what happens.

"I think all of us need time. First of all they have had to save the team; they have had to get the racing going.

"We are hoping that we will have a proper marriage quite soon - but we are a Virgin bride, and they may find that someone comes in and offers them something even better before this bride marries up with them!

"But it is more likely than not that we will get something sorted in the next few weeks."

Brawn happy

Brawn feels the arrival of Branson and Virgin in Formula One will have a big impact on the sport.

"Virgin Group has a major involvement in many industries which have synergies with our work here in F1," said Brawn.

"The efforts the sport is making, led by the FIA, to improve the environmental credentials of F1 are extremely important for our society and our objectives for our sport. Richard and the Virgin Group are well aligned with our plans for the future.

"I know Richard shares my views that you can have a much greater influence working on the inside making positive changes."

Branson was close to buying the old Honda team himself, and had mentioned at the time he would only move into F1 on two conditions: if the sport cut costs and it became greener.

Green sport

Explaining his decision, he added: "As you know Bernie Ecclestone has announced new entrants will be able to get into Formula One at a much lower cost.

"That will encourage a lot of new companies to get involved with the sport and make it much more exciting.

"As far as clean fuel is concerned, we have invested quite a considerable sum of money in a company called Geva.

"One of the tasks they have had is to see if they can come up with a fuel for Formula One, maybe called the Virgin fuel, that is clean, doesn't emit any carbon, and can perform as well as the dirty fuels used in cars to date.

"I'm delighted to say they have come up with such a fuel, and over the next few months we will be trying to talk to Formula One and the various car companies to see if we can have it introduced as the one F1 uses so it can go from being a slightly polluting sport to a clean sport.

"As far as I'm concerned, I'm looking forward to working within the sport to try to change it.

SOURCE: SKY SPORTS

Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Oh, the things I would do to be Rubens Barrichello and have that grid girl on her knees in front of me!

Old 03-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
Great photo, and once again Sir Richard is the coolest guy ever. You imagine the fun shit he's done in his life...

Old 03-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Official Bowel Mover
TommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TTM0TION
Great photo, and once again Sir Richard is the coolest guy ever. You imagine the fun shit he's done in his life...
and probably one of the luckiest, what were the odds that Brawn would get 1-2 on their first race?

Old 03-29-2009, 05:13 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyBahama
and probably one of the luckiest, what were the odds that Brawn would get 1-2 on their first race?
Pretty high actually.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Uh oh! He's got the bug. This could be the start of a dynasty my friends.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
Uh oh! He's got the bug. This could be the start of a dynasty my friends.

+1 this is definetly becoming more and more interesting by the hour

Old 03-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
he defiantly has the money and power......

Cool things to own in a lifetime

A. an Island
B. a space capable shuttle
C. an F1 team

yup, hes pretty much nailed it

Old 03-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by quickZohsix
he defiantly has the money and power......

Cool things to own in a lifetime

A. an Island
B. a space capable shuttle
C. an F1 team

yup, hes pretty much nailed it
very true....the man knows how to enjoy himself that's for sure