Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Honda Not Considering F1 Return

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:04 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Honda Not Considering F1 Return

Even if the world economy rapidly recovers, Honda is not keen to return to formula one, the Japanese carmaker's new chief executive said on Monday. Takanobu Ito has now succeeded former chief executive Takeo Fukui, who due to the global financial crisis decided to withdraw Honda from the sport and hand the Brackley team to its current owners headed by Ross Brawn. "It was a real shame that we had to leave formula one," Ito is quoted as saying from Tokyo.

Financial considerations aside, he suggested F1 has become less attractive due to its regulatory restrictions. "On the other hand, F1 is becoming less of a medium in which companies can test their various strengths and more of an event with mounting restrictions. "There's little room for us to challenge new fields, so bearing in mind the current state of series, I don't think we have the desire to return, even if the economy improves," he added.

Meanwhile, given the withdrawal from the F1 calendar of Fuji Speedway, Ito said he did not know if Honda-owned Suzuka will take over as the new permanent host of the annual Japanese grand prix.

Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
That was sure a nice way of saying "we ****ed up by pulling out when we did".

Old 07-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
That was sure a nice way of saying "we ****ed up by pulling out when we did".
How do u read that?

It's time Honda monetize on their experience and technology learned. I am a loyal Honda customer and have high regards for their products - except current Acura lineup. I can't wait for the return of some high performance. I may even get an Insight in the near future.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:52 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by djantlive
How do u read that?
he reads that because their chassis has dominated the first half of the season, albeit with mercedes power. you don't think brawngp has honda feeling a bit bent over? they left at precisely the wrong time, they stopped development on their 08 car very early to concentrate on the 09 because of the new regs and it paid off big time....for brawn haha.

Originally Posted by djantlive
I can't wait for the return of some high performance. I may even get an Insight in the near future.
yes those insights are burning up the roadways with all that F1 inspired tech.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IIVVX
he reads that because their chassis has dominated the first half of the season, albeit with mercedes power. you don't think brawngp has honda feeling a bit bent over? they left at precisely the wrong time, they stopped development on their 08 car very early to concentrate on the 09 because of the new regs and it paid off big time....for brawn haha.
Exactly my point.

Originally Posted by IIVVX
yes those insights are burning up the roadways with all that F1 inspired tech.
It does have regenerative braking and in a way, KERS....

Then again, both of those came out on the Prius long before they were implemented in F1, so that's pretty much irrelevant.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
^ You (IIVVX) kill me bro.

Is Ito-san suggesting that if things were to change (less regulations) in F1 they may consider a return?