Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

FOTA wants KERS ban

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 09:09 AM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
FOTA wants KERS ban

Formula One news: FOTA wants KERS ban - GPUpdate.net Formula One

The Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) has expressed its dissatisfaction over the Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS), so much so that it hopes to have the device, which is notoriously expensive to develop and only used by four teams thus far, banned for next season.

KERS, new for 2009, has generally not caught on with the majority of teams electing not to run the device so far. "FOTA wants to ban it from 2010," explained Renault team principal Flavio Briatore to Italy's Gazzetta dello Sport. "We understood immediately that KERS was a money-sucking genius, and that the FIA should have taken note of that. It should have been discussed before the start of the season, and the same goes for the diffusers. Having failed to do that has forced on us expenses that are crazy as much as useless."

So far only Ferrari, McLaren, BMW and Renault have used the device, with other teams believed to be introducing it later in the season, although today's news may result in the halting of any ongoing development. Although no team is forced to use KERS, the FOTA organisation - representing all ten teams - will need official confirmation from governing body the FIA in the event of issuing a ban.

Briatore continued, stating how the Formula One rules have become 'unclear'. "They must become transparent again," he said. "It's either black or white. To this day, I don't yet understand what the FIA means by a 'hole' in the diffuser, so I can imagine the embarrassment for viewers. On top of that, we must all get back on the same footing; today in F1 there are some racing with KERS and some without, some with the super diffuser and some without - that's not good."

Old 04-25-2009, 09:36 AM
TS Detailing Partner l Atlanta
whitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond repute
I like the technology aspect of it, but I'd rather see costs kept down so we can have more teams entering F1 next year.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by whitlock
I like the technology aspect of it, but I'd rather see costs kept down so we can have more teams entering F1 next year.
+1. I like the "idea" of KERS in F1 but it just didn't make sense to introduce it when the FIA did from a financial standpoint.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
I bet the smaller teams are laughing behind the FIA's back and telling them, "Ya, we're almost done with our KERS"

Old 04-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
I bet that the teams that stick with KERS will be able to make it lighter and more reliable and that will pay dividends next season

Old 04-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by like.no.other
I bet that the teams that stick with KERS will be able to make it lighter and more reliable and that will pay dividends next season
Unless they make the storage devices lighter, I don't ever see KERS in general getting lighter. At all.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
I also think that by next season it will be a viable system, but then again it wouldn't bother me if KERS was banned for this season.