Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Why the 991 has larger wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Why the 991 has larger wheels...

Now it all makes sense...

I was reading the Automobile magazine tonight that is highlighting the new models for 2012, and of course there was an article on the 991.

When it got to commenting about the new standard wheel sized (19 & 20), the article pointed out that Porsche moved to these larger sizes in order to fit LARGER BRAKES. That also includes 6-piston front brakes.

Not sure if it was known or obvious to all others, but it was an 'A-HA' moment for me. Not about the bling or anything other than Improved Performance.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
That's why most manufacturers go to larger wheels.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by Zorro
That's why most manufacturers go to larger wheels.
I guess so...2 & 2 just weren't adding up to 4 for me until I read that article. I guess that I was distracted from some of the comments/complaints about the increased wheel sizes.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
its funny you make this thread up because today i saw a 993 C4 and noticed that the wheels were so small compared to the 991 and asked myself why go so big when small doesnt even look half bad already...

Old 09-03-2011, 12:11 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
^^ That 993 looks fantastic!

In addition to the larger brakes I bet they increased the size to balance out the look (increased overall size). A 993 on 20's would look horrible, just like a 991 on 17's would look dreadful.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:47 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really nice
I have nothing against big wheels that look right on the car. As long as it is a well made wheel that is pretty light weight, I don't mind it

also bigger brakes FTW!

-AJ

Old 09-03-2011, 02:09 AM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
well...on the Porsche website they say that the bigger diameter was chosen for improved performance and comfort...

Old 09-03-2011, 06:36 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by ECB
well...on the Porsche website they say that the bigger diameter was chosen for improved performance and comfort...
I think the 'improved performance' comment can be tied to improved braking performance also.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
grant is on a distinguished roadgrant is on a distinguished roadgrant is on a distinguished roadgrant is on a distinguished roadgrant is on a distinguished road
If you look at the photos of the 991, the brakes don't come close to filling the wheels. I think the new S brakes would fit on 18's or 19's at most.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
F1 cars have good brakes, but they don't ride on 20s

Quick Reply: Why the 991 has larger wheels...