Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

F1 - The Official Team Speed F1 Fantasy League Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Over_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond repute
Guys, I missed you all this weekend. I was in Las Vegas for a work retreat from Saturday to Sunday afternoon. I saw qualifying, but I missed the race until I got home. Bummer. I didn't bring my computer, so I was agonizing on Sunday morning when I woke up to see how the race went. I have not read all the thread comments yet, so these thoughts may already have been raised, but here are a just a few of my own thoughts for what they are worth of interest.

First, crazy how Brawn/Button are still in the mix so strongly. The other teams have caught them, as Button even admitted in the Q+A post race. Button now commands a 12 point lead over his teamate Rubens and 13 over Vettel. That's basically one race if Vettel wins and Button doesn't finish. So Button is still within reach, theoretically. But they still look strong and will continue to post podiums and points for sure.

Second, I predicted Hamilton would podium this race. Well, I was wrong, but by one spot. He was fourth. He's going to podium soon. McLaren are right there.

Third, Kimi finally finished a race and finished in the points. They are creeping up. Is it time to sell a guy like Alonso or Webber for Kimi yet? Maybe not. But that time is approaching unless Ferrari bags this season and focuses on their 2010 redesign.

Fourth, Vettel is proving to be a serious driver. We all knew he was, but not is moment to shine. I think from here on we'll see him battling with Brawn and Toyota for top of the podium. His equipment is dialed in, and he's agressive in traffic. I've personally been waiting to see him explode like this. He's young, enthusiastic, and emotionally absorbed by racing. He's sharp too--he has no agent and negotiates on his own. Go Vettel!!!

Finally, the unsuspecting resilience of Toyota! What to say about them. Jarno had a crappy Chinese GP. His value dropped. I think most observers may have written them off until qualifying. Glock is driver no.2 on the team. But they have both consistently been fighting for the podium. They obviously have a great car, great drivers, and great team this year. But McLaren are basically apples to apples with Toyota at this point. That's where the fight will be for the third/fourth/fifth places each week. Peace out for now.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Who would have thought that Kimi and Lewis would be the big post-Bahrain movers!? Both are up around 1.0 m.

I would not have expected Alonso to continue to drop - down about .40 m.

I think Alonso and Kubica are the best values on the board right now.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
Who would have thought that Kimi and Lewis would be the big post-Bahrain movers!? Both are up around 1.0 m.

I would not have expected Alonso to continue to drop - down about .40 m.

I think Alonso and Kubica are the best values on the board right now.
So what you're telling me is that I made bank this week!?!!?!

Old 04-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Old 04-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
IMPORTANT RULE CHANGES

If you have logged into Fantasy Racers today, you have already seen this.

For those who have not, please review the following message from Fantasy Racers:

What do we think about these rule changes?

What about the timing - 4 races into the season?

I know that some of you were thinking about using the quantity over quality strategy and were shooting for 10 driver lineups while others were also utilizing the unused budget points to help your team.

This rule change kills those strategies.

What do you guys think about this??

Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
What do we think about these rule changes?

What about the timing - 4 races into the season?

I know that some of you were thinking about using the quantity over quality strategy and were shooting for 10 driver lineups while others were also utilizing the unused budget points to help your team.

This rule change kills those strategies.

What do you guys think about this??
I can dig it, but it doesn't effect me. I doubt anyone, even Erich, will be able to reach 10 drivers this season so that's pretty much a non-issue.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
I think that it is a bit crazy that they changed the rules in the middle of the season and I will tell you why. By doing so they are admitting that a 10+ driver lineup - even if they are the 10 cheapest drivers in the game - is a sure thing to win every week. Also, they are admitting that you can almost guarantee wins by snagging Button, Trulli and Vettel and cash in 30 m for 300 points. You would get 700+ points every week without breaking a sweat.

It exposes some pretty obvious flaws in the game that I pointed out in my first recap when Bologna GP scored in the top five with only 3 drivers and Erich won the week with 6. I noted that you could win the leauge with the worst drivers on the grid - or no drivers at all. They should have seen this coming.

Another issue is that there is one private league with over 500 players. They could conspire to manipulate certain driver values. "Blue Horse Shoe LOVES Giancarlo Fishicella."

If it was a pay-to-play league with a winners pot I would be pissed. But given that it is a free league it is no big deal. And like you say, it really doesn't affect anyone in our league. Although I know Erich was eyeballing that 11-man team!!

Old 05-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Current driver values.

Of note:

1. Kimi and Lewis continue to inch up.

2. Vettel is now 13.00 m. Which means he can now only be swapped 1 for 1 with Button.

3. Alonso has suprisingly stayed the same - thought he would be moving up.

4. You can now pick up Rosberg and Kubica for Lewis Hamilton 2 for 1.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
This league has been fun to play in and banter, but the way the scoring system is set up seems to reward "beating the system" as opposed to picking a good team. Perhaps if there was a higher premium placed on winning and placing in the race, and not so many points for simply completing laps.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by BigE
This league has been fun to play in and banter, but the way the scoring system is set up seems to reward "beating the system" as opposed to picking a good team. Perhaps if there was a higher premium placed on winning and placing in the race, and not so many points for simply completing laps.
I'd love to see it structured more like the Fantasy NASCAR league where you can have a max of 5 drivers and a set budget. That would make it more interesting and a much closer competition, imo, because everyone would have to focus on making the right decisions on who to pick before the race instead of just picking up as many drivers as they can and hope that everyone finishes.

Quick Reply: F1 - The Official Team Speed F1 Fantasy League Discussion Thread