Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

***The Official Australian GP Race Weekend Banter Thread [SPOILERS]***

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zorro
Lemme quote a certain Dale Earnhardt.

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose."

I have far more respect for the guy who gave it all and crashed than for the one who "plays it safe". That's just an excuse for not having the guts to drive the hell out of your car.
That's nice for a quote in a Die Hard sequal, but it won't win you many F1 World Championships.

There are certain times you must use finesse to win. Like Mayoof said, it was the first race of the season, let your pit crew and management have a nice podium finish, take the points and build on that. Now he lost in Aus and is hurt in Mal too. How can that be the right way to race??

Old 03-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Damn accountants and lawyers taking over F1.

I guess that's why I watch MotoGP. They don't count, they give it all to win. Anyone remember Biaggi in Holland way back? He got black-flagged and kept on going because one thing mattered in his mind ... finish first. He did finish first ... in his head only. But I'd have done the same.

FWIW, finesse is letting your opponent through when you see he's overcooked it and take the interior back when he's struggling on the outside. Letting an opponent through just because you don't feel safe is just what Jean Todt the Hobbit would do.

It's all personal. I like drivers with panache, old-school. I don't care about the team or the championship, as long as the driver gave it all.

Last edited by Zorro; 03-29-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Damn accountants and lawyers taking over F1.

I guess that's why I watch MotoGP. They don't count, they give it all to win.
You make a good point though. The FIA had this very thing in mind when they tried to make wins determine the championship. They wanted to encourage drivers to race to win - all the time. But what happened to Vettel and Kubica yesterday is the inevitable product of that kind of thinking. It is great for the spectators - unless you had both Kubica and Vettel on your team. But it creates a crazy, all-or-nothing attitude that is not well suited for the higher level of technology and compeition that is F1 racing.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
The crash itself is very unfortunate but I'm glad that drivers that haven't been that much on top still drives like it's the end of the world and winning is everything. It would be tragic to see teams like RB, Toyota, BGP etc play safe and get points in the beginning just because Ferrari and McLaren are out of shape.... A little blurry post but I guess you get my point....

Old 03-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
But it creates a crazy, all-or-nothing attitude that is not well suited for the higher level of technology and compeition that is F1 racing.
Wow. That's definitely not my stance. But I do see your point and totally respect it. In the end, we all sit in front of the TV to have a good time ...

To me all-or-nothing is exactly what competition is. Everything else is politics and should have no say once the lights go off.

I raced, and your heart stops every time someone passes you. That's maybe why my position on this is so one-sided.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
I raced, and your heart stops every time someone passes you. That's maybe why my position on this is so one-sided.
No brother. That's what makes your opinion so very valuable. Those of us who have never been behind the wheel can learn a thing or two about the competative nature of racing from those who have. I very much respect and value that perspective.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
I just watched the race. Obviously, Kubica and Vettel didn't know they're on my fantasy team. Ugh. My team was one of the best after Q, and now, I'm like last..ugh.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MiniD
I just watched the race. Obviously, Kubica and Vettel didn't know they're on my fantasy team. Ugh. My team was one of the best after Q, and now, I'm like last..ugh.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
What an epic banter thread this was!! I am going to unstick this banter thread now in preparation for the new banter thread about Malaysia.

Can't wait!!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:38 AM
TS Detailing Partner l Atlanta
whitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond repute
Wow what a great thread! Sorry I missed out on it. Haven't seen the race yet due to an unfortunate incident with a set of stairs and some hospital time but reading through all of the posts during the race right now, I felt like I was watching it! Buddy of mine has it on his DVR, hope to go watch it tonight.

Quick Reply: ***The Official Australian GP Race Weekend Banter Thread [SPOILERS]***