Notices
Motorcycle Forum The Harley, Chopper, & Performance Motorcycle Discussion Forum.

Considering a Monster 1100

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by big_slacker
The guy might have driven it off the lot to the track and done 600 miles at WOT for all you know.
If he did, you'll have a better running, stronger bike than a garage queen.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smoky
I am coming back from a several year riding hiatus. From that perspective maybe the used bike is the better idea?
If you're experienced with bikes in relatively the same power class, I would not give it much weight. Either bike are comparatively easy to ride besides, say, a SBK or jap liter bike.

I guess one thing I haven't been able to get a handle on while reading the Ducati and Monster forums is what is the reliability like with Ducati?
Reliability hasn't really been an issue for a very long time. My '98 916 runs like a top, as does every other Duc I own / have owned. The only ones I've ever seen issues on are those that have been neglected.

Change the belts regularly and keep your services on schedule, and it's unlikely you'll have to do anything other than put gas in it.

Assuming homeboy didn't take the bike to the dragway off the showroom floor and do a valve-shattering, cold-start, 20 minute burnout once a day for 3000 miles, what kind of reliability can I expect from a Ducati?
Even if he did, you shouldn't expect any problems.

FYI the correct way to break in a new bike is to warm it up, ride the absolute piss out of it, change the oil at ~20 miles, then ride the absolute piss out of it for a few hundred more, and change the oil again. At that point, it's as broken in as it's going to get.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Teamspeed Member
falgo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!falgo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!falgo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!falgo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!falgo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!falgo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!falgo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!falgo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!falgo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!falgo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!falgo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Had the Monster 1100. Loved the bike. I'm 6'2" and after a while it felt a bit cramped (my elbows were too close to my knees). I traded it in for the K1300R. Fits me much better. Both are great bikes!

Last edited by falgo; 08-23-2011 at 04:56 PM.