Notices
Motorcycle Forum The Harley, Chopper, & Performance Motorcycle Discussion Forum.

Considering a Monster 1100

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Simba
I'd get the used one with goodies.

The service interval is 6,000 miles. If by "second" you are referring to the 600 mile inspection being the "first", the 6k is the usual inspection service without belts. Check everything, change oil, change air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, lube everything, etc. It's generally $5-600 bucks.

The "major" service is at 12,000, which is everything in the 6k plus timing belts and fork oil.

ABS and TC are bandaids for learning to ride properly, as are slipper clutches.

Doesn't the TC do stuff that isn't humanly possible? If so, how are they band aids? It's like ABS, you can't outbreak ABS.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by djantlive
Doesn't the TC do stuff that isn't humanly possible?
Depends on the human. If you open the loud handle too much in a corner, it can save you. Or, you can learn the capabilities and feedback of a given motorcycle.

It's like ABS, you can't outbreak ABS.
Actually, yes, you can. ABS exists to provide steering authority in a panic braking situation on slick surfaces, and on a bike, to prevent stoppies and washouts. It does not increase braking force (quite the opposite) nor traction.

Threshold braking stops one much faster than ABS in virtually all cases.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:27 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by djantlive
isn't the best thing about ducati is the TC? every duc owner loves that thing. even the die hards that hate electronics tell me they'd like it since it allows u to go faster.
On the Starbucks parking lot, maybe.

Give me TC or ABS, and the first thing I do is yank the fuse.

If you can't handle the controls, you shouldn't be on a bike in the first place.

I've never come close to needing ABS or TC. Not once.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Simba
I'd get the used one with goodies.

The service interval is 6,000 miles. If by "second" you are referring to the 600 mile inspection being the "first", the 6k is the usual inspection service without belts. Check everything, change oil, change air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, lube everything, etc. It's generally $5-600 bucks.

The "major" service is at 12,000, which is everything in the 6k plus timing belts and fork oil.

ABS and TC are bandaids for learning to ride properly, as are slipper clutches.

It's 7500 miles on the new ones I just bought mine

Old 08-23-2011, 08:45 AM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zorro
On the Starbucks parking lot, maybe.

Give me TC or ABS, and the first thing I do is yank the fuse.

If you can't handle the controls, you shouldn't be on a bike in the first place.

I've never come close to needing ABS or TC. Not once.
TC I get your point ABS that's foolish it doesn't interfere with anything

Old 08-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
You don't pay for someone else's mods. A used bike should never cost more than a new one, that's a bit on the ridiculous side. The guy might have driven it off the lot to the track and done 600 miles at WOT for all you know.

If you want the modded one, talk him down and make him include all the stock parts so you can ebay 'em.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Smoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks all. Lots of good info and guidance here. I really appreciate it.

Both of the used bikes I'm looking at would need to come down in price. The most reasonable one I've found is a 2008 S4RS Tricolore that has about $6k of mods into it, and it is selling for $10k. That year kbb's for $9k, he has low miles (~2300), and it is loaded with good mods. It will need a new exhaust though because the current one is marred by a rider's boot melting onto it.

I've never ridden a bike with TC or ABS so I don't know that I'd miss it. I DO know that if I get a new stock bike I'm going to hammer my wallet because I'm going to option it up and mod it. Right off the bat I'm already thinking exhaust and bars, and I don't even have it yet! They do look nice though. The new wet clutch sounds interesting (I talked to an owner last night while gaming about the differences in feel). And I'll take the safety aids too...they can't hurt. In fact those would be a good selling point to the wife-unit (this is going to be a surprise because she DOES NOT want me to get another bike....but I can't help it!).

If I get the used bike, my mod bug will be mostly satiated. It will be broken in which means I can get to riding hard sooner if I want to. Getting the used bike will prob save me at least $5k in the long run.

I am coming back from a several year riding hiatus. From that perspective maybe the used bike is the better idea?

I guess one thing I haven't been able to get a handle on while reading the Ducati and Monster forums is what is the reliability like with Ducati? For example, I know that if I get a used Harley or a new Harley I'm going to experience issues either way. And I know that if I get a used Honda or a new Honda I probably will never do anything except oil changes and regular maintenance.

Assuming homeboy didn't take the bike to the dragway off the showroom floor and do a valve-shattering, cold-start, 20 minute burnout once a day for 3000 miles, what kind of reliability can I expect from a Ducati? Is it good enough that a used bike shouldn't scare me off?

Old 08-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud of
Personally, I'd feel better about buying a new Ducati, just because I'm super paranoid about break in periods lol. But if you think the bike was taken care of and you're comfortable with it, I say go for it. It sounds like a nice bike.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Smoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond repute
I've just learned from the Ducati dealer in NO that the S4RS is more like the current Streetfighter (hence the displacement difference from the current Monster lineup). That makes it a different bike (diff powerband, etc). It's more rev-happy. Not that the current Monster isn't, but you know what I mean.

It's prob lots of fun. But may also be too much bike for me right now, that S4RS.

At the moment I am leaning hard towards buying a new 1100 Evo, spec'ing it myself, and caring for the bike from new. As Bav points out above, I will feel a lot better KNOWING the bike is cared for properly from day 1.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Last edited by Smoky; 08-23-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud of
No problem!

Quick Reply: Considering a Monster 1100