Notices
Motorcycle Forum The Harley, Chopper, & Performance Motorcycle Discussion Forum.

what the crap is this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zorro
I noticed a couple weeks ago when doing the 7500 maintenance that my gas tank had grown, took quite a bit of wrestling (and prybar) to put the rear bolt back in.
Not very impressive, I agree. Especially since I purposely stay away from ethanol fuels (they're not as common here as they are in the us)
Any warranty left? I read on Ducati.org that someone was covered under good will via Ducati.

I had *heard* that 1098S/1198S had metal tanks.... you have an S right? - so that would me a no on that question? or was my source confused?

Old 08-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
If I remember right, they all have plastic tanks except the latest 1198SP and 1198R Corse.

No warranty, but I don't care about it enough to beg for a new tank.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:05 PM
SAB
Teamspeed Pro
SAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond repute
It looks to me like fuel was spilled into the gap between the cap and the tank, likely coming in contact with paint that was not clear coated (overspray from when the tank was painted).

It looks as if it sat in there long enough to dissolve the paint and then oozed out onto the clear coated paint when the bike was leaned or moved.

There is typically a rubber gasket that runs around the edge of the cap, so the spilled fuel could have easily sat there just long enough to eat the paint under the clear coat line even if you wiped away most of it.

That's just my speculation though.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Originally Posted by SAB
It looks to me like fuel was spilled into the gap between the cap and the tank, likely coming in contact with paint that was not clear coated (overspray from when the tank was painted).

It looks as if it sat in there long enough to dissolve the paint and then oozed out onto the clear coated paint when the bike was leaned or moved.

There is typically a rubber gasket that runs around the edge of the cap, so the spilled fuel could have easily sat there just long enough to eat the paint under the clear coat line even if you wiped away most of it.

That's just my speculation though.
Hoping that it'll just WIPE away and that will be that. However, I'm NOT doing it w/o the dealership being present.

You can see where I'm going with this.....

Old 08-12-2011, 03:27 PM
SAB
Teamspeed Pro
SAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond repute
Absolutely. The right thing for them to do is allow you to keep enjoying the bike until the new tank arrives, make the swap, and give you some free swag.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
love me some free swag!!

Old 08-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
barebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
I'm not buying a f***ing BMW!! 1) EVERYONE who ride one is some sort of bizarre twatter. If not, they have a Duc or Jap bike to temper the gheyness. 2) I'm NOT buying a I-4 bike, or opposed twin. I want a VEEE twin or I'd have gone for the V4 aLa 'Priller.

3) chill dem bitches outtt!
I had no clue that you had cross shopped this with the bimmer. I was more talking about build quality... Italian vs German..... kinda giving your a complement man.

Oh and bmw riders aren't all twatters, the most badass Dakar bikes are always BMW's

Last edited by barebones; 08-16-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
Originally Posted by barebones
I had no clue that you had cross shopped this with the bimmer. I was more talking about build quality... Italian vs German..... kinda giving your a complement man.

Oh and bmw riders aren't all twatters, the most badass Dakar bikes are always BMW's
I didn't man. The Twin's list was rather small. And I wanted to give Ducati a shot.

1st service is on Friday wahoooo! hopefully they fix zee tank and I can be on my way to REDLINE! lol

Old 09-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
nehantic is an unknown quantity at this point
That's a Horrible touch up job with NO tank specific Clear I'm assuming. Who ever did that has No Respect for other people.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:39 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
It would bother me at first - really bad.

But it doesn't really affect the bike's performance.

Just enjoy it brother. Soon, that will just give it character.