Notices
Motorcycle Forum The Harley, Chopper, & Performance Motorcycle Discussion Forum.

Complete Bike Newbie Needs Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
crazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond repute
Complete Bike Newbie Needs Some Advice

OK, so I have decided to get a bike. But, I need some advice first. I am going to take my MSF course and get a Ninja 250R to start out on, but first I need to buy some gear. I am looking to spend max of $2,000 for my gear to give you guys an idea of my budget.

I need to get some riding gear. Keep in mind I will be taking my bike to class so I do not want to look like a total dick showing up in full leathers. I was thinking more about some of those kevlar reinforced jeans. What is a good pair that looks like a normal pair of jeans similar to a pair or 7's or similar nice jeans?

For shoes I figure I could wear my trusty cowboy boots. They are about 2mm thick quality leather so figured they would provide a fair amount of protection. However for fun weekend rides I would want a pair of actual riding boots. So, I need a recommendation for a good pair of boots. Also, is there anything out there like a sports ankle brace the I can put on under my cowboy boots to provide a little more protection?

Next, I will need a good jacket. I visited a local shop and they told that I should get both a mesh and leather jacket. Again I want something that looks it could be worn everyday and still provide protection. Recommendations on a good mesh and a good leather jacket would be great.

OK, Almost ready to go except I need a pair of gloves. I was told something with a high cuff is best. Obviously these will only be worn when riding so looks don't matter at all, just comfortable with good protection.

Lastly, the most important thing, a helmet. What is a good helmet the is comfortable and lightweight with great protection. Obviously full face is what I am looking for. Also, I don't know if this is common but the ability to change visors for different light conditions would be nice.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out guys. I appreciate it.

Last edited by crazy1323; 04-30-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Pants : the kevlar jeans are Draggin' (with optional knee pad) and Sliders from Competition Accessories. A quick Google should get the proper links.
For low speed MSF stuff, kevlar isn't that important, what's important is that you have something like CE padding in the strategic areas. Most clothing companies now make armored cyclists shorts things that you can wear under normal jeans.

Not sure about cowboys boots. For everyday commuting, I use some TCX X-Cube boots (or high shoes, however one wants to see it) and would definitely recommend them, they're more solid then they look.

You don't need BOTH meth and leather. I don't trust mesh jackets, to be honest. I wear my leather one winter or summer, once you're moving a little heat is no problem. Alpinestars or Dainese have great quality that doesn't look silly once off the bike.

Gloves, mine are shorties, c/f knuckles, suede-ish palm, textile between the fingers and leather top. I think the high cuffs ones are really more for the track.

Helmet ... try it on! It needs to be a bit tighter than snug when you first buy it, and no pressure points. When you have it on and move it a little, it should feel as though you're moving your scalp, it will settle a bit. I can't remember the exact figure, but an Arai rep used to say that the vast majority of people buy helmet one or 2 sizes too big. Of course, the usual Shoei, Arai and whatnot are recommended.
You can change the visor on any helmet, but a few ones have an integrated sunshade inside. Very cool IMO. I know the Schuberth has that feature, not sure about others.

Most of all you need to be comfortable. No point in getting super robust armored stuff and you can't move or can't feel the controls.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
edbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond repute
STG is your friend, I like buying stuff from them, and you can go ahead and check the videos they have about every single product offered.

I like AGV helmets, currently I own 2 of them a stealth and Airtech, quite, comfortable, and the air vents actually work.

Alpine stars for Jackets, gloves and street boots, with your $2k budget you should be able to get all the right stuff.

I'm yet to try any of the padded jeans, would also be interested in other peoples thoughts on them.

Good luck with your course and riding, the Ninja 250 is a very god choice for starting, although you will out grow it in a matter of months.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:21 AM
SAB
Teamspeed Pro
SAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond repute
Zorro speaks the truth.

There's nothing dick about wearing a one piece suit to a MSF course. You don't ride motorcycles to get laid and look cool.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
crazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SAB
Zorro speaks the truth.

There's nothing dick about wearing a one piece suit to a MSF course. You don't ride motorcycles to get laid and look cool.

I have no problems wearing that to the MSF course. However I was talking about going to class. Showing up to a law school class in a full leather suit might not make the best first impression on my classmates and teachers.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:36 PM
SAB
Teamspeed Pro
SAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by crazy1323
I have no problems wearing that to the MSF course. However I was talking about going to class. Showing up to a law school class in a full leather suit might not make the best first impression on my classmates and teachers.
My mistake. I must have misread that.

In that case, as stated go with a leather jacket and the armor jeans. Some quality jackets are offered from Vanson, Alpinestars, Dainese, Teknic, and Spidi. I would avoid companies like Icon and Joe Rocket.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
The bikes you'll be riding in a MSF course will have small engines and not that much power. Wear a sturdy pair of jeans, and some boots that cover your ankle. My advice would be to not wear a full suit unless you are headed to the track or canyon. Arai and Shoei make great helmets, and pretty much any company will have good gloves. Boots are just a matter of what you like and what feels good to you. And kudos to you for having the G2 to go with a Ninja 250 for a starter bike.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Thanks, my initial reaction was to get a Ducati Streetfighter S. However, I was told that I WILL DIE. I am going to do a more linear progression. The 250R for a few months then a Ducati Monster 696 until next summer.

Originally Posted by SoCal
The bikes you'll be riding in a MSF course will have small engines and not that much power. Wear a sturdy pair of jeans, and some boots that cover your ankle. My advice would be to not wear a full suit unless you are headed to the track or canyon. Arai and Shoei make great helmets, and pretty much any company will have good gloves. Boots are just a matter of what you like and what feels good to you. And kudos to you for having the G2 to go with a Ninja 250 for a starter bike.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
edbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond repute
That's doing it right, pushing a slow bike to it's limt is much better than being scared on a liter bike, you learn a ton more.

I started on a bajaj, then moved to 600cc, 750cc and now I'm on very slow Harleys.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
FWIW I was an everyday motorcycle commuter in Vegas where it gets HOT in the summer. I rode surface streets to the strip so there was plenty of waiting at lights. Full leather is fine year round. You need some venting in the summer, but other than that..... Sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't.

Shoei RF1000 or X11 are decent helmets that aren't horribly expensive. (RF1000 for $250 or so on ebay) Arai makes good stuff as well.

Joe rocket, although a "mass market" brand has good street riding apparel that isn't as expensive as some of the more boutique brands.

For going to work or class I always did slacks under leather or textile CE armored pants, then a leather jacket over a t-shirt. Shoes and shirt/tie in the tank bag or backpack. At work its 3 minutes of changing. If I can do this for professional office attire I'm sure you can come up with something for school.