Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

First bike advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Pablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
First bike advice

Hey,

Im looking to pick up a bike for the summer. This would be my first bike ever...

I was thinking of getting an R1 or a Hayabusa...(just playin' lol). But seriously, im into sport bikes, but im also into unique things...I considered a new 250 sportbike for fun but just not that into it.

So i thought, what if I get an old skool 250 2-stroke, something around 15 years old, around 60hp tops (ya i know with 2stroke power delivery...). Maintenance would be a little bit of a bitch but what the heck.

Strictly speaking of bike dynamics, and putting money and expenses aside, would you think a 250 2stroke like a honda nsr250 or Kawa kr250 would be too much to start with? Or would it be an alright way to get into this sport?

Thanks peeps!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
NDP23 is an unknown quantity at this point
250's are a great bike to learn...but another good alternative is the SV650...Great starter bike. I started on a Gixxer6 but i would steer away from them till you learn to ride.

Also take a motorcycle class. Here in the states is around 250 and you get your license right after.

-N

Old 03-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Former Sponsor
Jeremy@unlimitedautosport You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Jeremy@unlimitedautosport You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Jeremy@unlimitedautosport You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Jeremy@unlimitedautosport You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Jeremy@unlimitedautosport You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Jeremy@unlimitedautosport You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Jeremy@unlimitedautosport You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Jeremy@unlimitedautosport You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Jeremy@unlimitedautosport You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Jeremy@unlimitedautosport You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Jeremy@unlimitedautosport You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
IMO, get a Honda xr 100 and ride that thing in the dirt for a while and learn the basics. Kawasaki makes a kick ass little 250 ninja thats alot easier to ride than a two stroke.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Don't get an old 2 stroke for the street as a first bike.

Everyone who's ridden my CR250 came back saying "wtf, that's ridiculously brutal! I can't feel my arms!". From people riding SV1000s, Beemer 1200s and ZX14s. That should tell you a bit about it.

Now that this is out of the way.

I could say the same about old bikes. Shit brakes, shit handling, shit tires, shit suspension.

There are many good reasons you don't find them around. They're all wrapped around trees.

A Busa or R1 would actually be a wiser choice.

Get something modern, not quite into superbike territory. It will be smoother and more forgiving.

Don't count the SAAQ classes as actual classes. You will learn more or less nothing from them. Look into trackday classes if you can. Or get a dirtbike to practice on.

My sister wants to learn to ride. She's doing her courses and stuff. I'm going to pick up a 125 dirtbike and she's not gonna go on the road until she's comfy on it. Then, she can upgrade to a streetbike, I'll see if I can get her to like some 4-cyl bike.

Last edited by Zorro; 03-25-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't recommend starting on a 2-stroke. Even though it's a 250, the power delivery is not going to be very forgiving.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Suzuki SV650 or GSXR 600, Honda CBR 600 F4i, Kawasaki 636, or a Triumph 675. One of those bikes would be great to learn on, and I HIGHLY recommend attending a MSF Motorcycle Safety Course. They are ~$250, and they supply the bikes and helmets. I would go out and try on a ton of helmets, find what is best fitting for you, buy that, and bring it, gloves, and above the ankle boots to the course. Good luck P.E.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Pablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
awwww maaaan! lol I was hoping you guys would say: fak it pick one up LOL

Ive already done a course and gotten my license...but like Zorro says, they dont teach you much. Already looking into something else for "real" courses.

What about an older, not too old Duc? Anything interesting they offer or use to offer (besides the monsters...)?

Old 03-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
I would still say get a SV650 or something similar and get REALLY competent first, but that is just my $0.02.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Of course, I may be the last person to take this advice from but . . .

I enjoyed my Ducati Monster 696 - while it lasted.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
NDP23 is an unknown quantity at this point
SV650, the monster is acutally a great bike. Older Duc would be SS and your just gonna spend $$ for no reason...Get a Used SV650 ride it 6moths than move into a Gixxer600/Duc848 or something in that range. If you really want to improve your learning curve do a couple track days!

Quick Reply: First bike advice