Notices
Modern Muscle Corvette, Saleen, Ford GT, Mustang, & More Discussion Forum.

2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Debuts as Most Powerful Production V8 in the World

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HIRISC
Yeah, now all Alex can talk about is 'Boss' this and 'Boss' that.

FKNA, what did you do to him?

My neighbor has a Boss.. I'll have to snag a drive (though, he'll want a reciprocal key toss to the FGT and I'm not sure he'd ever be the same).

LOL
yeah, I think he liked it! I've already promised to sell it to him if I snag a new GT500!

I'm planning on bringing it up there for a C&C next year. I'd be happy let you drive it. All I want in return is a promise that you won't be mad when I drool all over your Cobra and FGT .

Old 11-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PorscheAudi
The same reason you wouldn't throw a supercharger on a GT3.
Well, I did moot that one time, and the flames scorched me for my trouble.

I suspect most people would want the power and torque of the Turbo, but the poise and balance of the GT3, which is sort of the point of the GT2. Unfortunately, using a Turbo engine destroys the character of the car. The *sound* of a GT3, and the stratospheric and instantaneous revving of the thing are what make it so special. I don't know how many people are emotionally attached to the engine in their Turbos, EXCEPT for the wall of torque and power they produce.

A properly set up supercharger on a GT3 would walk away from a Turbo in a drag race, and run away and hide from it on a track, or windy road. What would you give up? A slight amount of throttle response, and perhaps a lower redline (but maybe not). In return, you'd get a no-excuses monster. With a regular GT3, which is plenty quick, you still demur when someone with a Z06 lines up against you at a stop-light. "It's a track car." you say, as though that means it shouldn't be quick in a straight line.

Put it another way - Would a supercharged GT3 with equal power be a more, or less, attractive proposition overall than a stock GT2?

Old 11-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Originally Posted by PMac
So... silly question. Everyone raves about the Boss 302 handling. The Boss/GT500 distinction seems very similar to the GT3/Turbo discussions in terms of acceleration and cruising versus handling and track performance.

Why wouldn't you throw a supercharger on a 302, and have the best of both worlds? I get how turbos ruin the responsiveness and sound of an engine, but superchargers don't affect the exhaust sound to the same degree, and lag is much less of an issue. You might lose a bit of the high-end free-revving sizzle of the N/A Boss motor, but you'd pick up GT500 acceleration, and handling that you couldn't replicate in a GT500.
Turbo vs. GT3 comparison is a good one.

I ordered the Shelby because 1) more available options for a DD 2) It's a Shelby 3) it has more power 4) I don't like decals and I can get it without them. I have loved Shelbys since I was little and my dad had a 67 500.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
theprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond repute
Hi,

Originally Posted by STOPPIE »
it's more to do with meatier tires wear out a LOT quicker then narrower ones.
Is that true? Genuine question.

Cheers,
Nik

Old 11-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond repute
Kind of off topic (maybe), but I decided today that these are going on the car this winter. Need to stiffen it up and want more feedback through the road.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
And damn you PMac! You have me considering the HPE700 now !

Old 11-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
And damn you PMac! You have me considering the HPE700 now !
Just doing my part to help this ailing economy...

Old 11-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Teamspeed Member
HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
yeah, I think he liked it! I've already promised to sell it to him if I snag a new GT500!

I'm planning on bringing it up there for a C&C next year. I'd be happy let you drive it. All I want in return is a promise that you won't be mad when I drool all over your Cobra and FGT .
Deal!

We'll take the Ford cousins out for a spin.

Hope to have the Factory Five on the road by April.

Enjoy the Boss!