Notices
Modern Muscle Corvette, Saleen, Ford GT, Mustang, & More Discussion Forum.

Mustang Shelby GT500 v. Boss 302

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 01:00 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Mustang Shelby GT500 v. Boss 302

I want to use this thread as a compare and contrast between the brutish GT500, and the "balanced" Boss 302.

Personally, for a lot of reasons, I want to get another 'Merican car; and Ford seems to be onto something in a lot of ways.

I've driven the GT500, and was blown away. It was a brute that could be driven everyday.

I have not driven the Boss 302, but I'm told is has "less" horsepower, but it an overall more balanced car; more geared towards dropping on a track. (less hp being very relative considering it has over 400...)

I've been struggling with a malaise towards cars for quite some time. I just haven't been able to get excited about anything.

These upper end Mustangs seem to be starting to hold my attention.

I enjoyed my Anniversary 996, and I'd like something equally unique. But I don't want to spend $100k to do it.

So bear with me, or contribute if ya don't mind.

Here is a vid that I found, with what appears to be a dealer giving a good explanation between the GT500 and the Boss.

YouTube - ‪2011 Ford Shelby GT500 Mustang‬‏

Old 06-11-2011, 01:03 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Fine example of a 2012 Boss.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:04 PM
TeH Ears
2011 Shelby GT500 specs:
* 5.4L 4-valve DOHC V-8
* 330 cu. in. / 5,409 cc
* 550 hp @ 6,200 rpm
* 510 lb.-ft. @ 4,250 rpm
* 6,250 rpm redline
* 8.4:1 compression ratio
* Aluminum block, aluminum heads
* 9.0 psi roots-type supercharger, air-to-water intercooler
* Forged steel crankshaft
* Forged aluminum pistons
* Cracked forged steel I-beam rods
* Tremec TR6060 six-speed (3.55 final)
* Weight: 3,820 (56/44)
---------------------------------------------------------------
2012 Boss 302 specs:
* 5.0L 4-valve DOHC Ti-VCT V8
* 302 cu. in./4,951 cc
* Composite shell-welded intake
* Stainless steel tubular headers
* 7,500 rpm redline
* 11.0:1 compression ratio
* Aluminum block and heads
* Forged aluminum pistons
* Forged steel rods
* Forged steel crankshaft
* Tremec TR6060 six-speed (3.73 final)
* Weight: 3,631 (55/45)

Old 06-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
How much practicality do you need, and where do you fall along the straight-line speed/twisty handling spectrum?

Why not start with the Boss 302 platform for the balanced chassis, and add power from there? Intake/cam/headers/exhaust on that engine, and you'd go a long way to closing the power gap to the GT500, staying naturally aspirated (and it would sound ungodly as well). Go FI, and you could get b-i-g power.

Other than that, I can't really think of anything American that could match the dynamics, unless you start looking at a Z06, but that's getting into an all-out sports car. Everything else is just a big soft pudding by comparison.

If you relax the $100k criterion, it's easy - Ford GT!

Old 06-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
For me it'd be the Boss all the way... No appreciable performance difference, better handling, better-looking (IMO), etc. Plus you'll save a decent chunk of change for tires, etc.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
yzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond repute
I would go with the boss, the 200lbs and 1250 rpm difference what sell me on the boss.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
I prefer the GT500 because as far as I know you can get a few more upscale appointments and if it's a daily I can't see that being a drawback. I also prefer the looks of it. I'm sure the Boss would spank it around a track but I don't really care about that. If you need more speed, that's easy to do - pulley, tune, CAI, full exhaust.

edit: forgot what PMac said - if you relax the price, the FGT is the way to go.

Last edited by cstroked; 06-11-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Tyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond repute
I've driven the GT500 and the new Boss 302 and to be honest, much preferred the Boss. They're both great cars, but I had a greater connection and feel of control while driving the Boss.

-Tyler

Old 06-11-2011, 04:35 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PMac
How much practicality do you need, and where do you fall along the straight-line speed/twisty handling spectrum?

Why not start with the Boss 302 platform for the balanced chassis, and add power from there? Intake/cam/headers/exhaust on that engine, and you'd go a long way to closing the power gap to the GT500, staying naturally aspirated (and it would sound ungodly as well). Go FI, and you could get b-i-g power.

Other than that, I can't really think of anything American that could match the dynamics, unless you start looking at a Z06, but that's getting into an all-out sports car. Everything else is just a big soft pudding by comparison.

/thread

Old 06-11-2011, 04:46 PM
TeH Ears
Originally Posted by PMac

I'm a twisty kind of guy. When I started doing track days, it was on bikes; which is where I learned to hang the rear out, enjoying the ride. Which is what attracted to me to a p-car on the track.

I like the more balanced approach of the Boss, and the fact that it is NA. But I also want a DD. Believe it or not, nav/audio is something I'm finding I really putting some weight on.

I like the notion of starting with the Boss. Lord knows if, I'd even get to the point of adding power. I'm going back and forth on doing track days anymore.

I wouldn't be averse to a Zo6, but sadly that whole bail out thing REALLY bothers me. I know it shouldn't, but it does.

See what I'm sayin... Malaise...

Ford GT for a daily? Oh how I wish that were realistic.

Quick Reply: Mustang Shelby GT500 v. Boss 302