Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

McLaren P1 - exclusive on-track review by Autocar

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Peloton25
Some would suggest he might have been trying too hard.

>8^)
ER
Well, I dont think its that bad..was the review of the 918 better? On the subject - I really still believe this car will destroy the 918..but lets see...

What really upset me however - and where he lost his creditibility - "this car feels much faster then the Honda F1 2007 car.."..well, really sir? How can one be so naive believing that this car can outperform a Honda F1 car from 2007..?

What we need now is: a track and clocked comparison between La Ferrari, Mclaren P1, and the 918..but I fear that none of the manufacturers will agree to that because one will look like a complete idiot/fool afterwars..- I wont disclose my personal opnion on this one..

Old 01-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Zeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RickyZone
Jesus christ, the negativity on here! Be happy, you just got to see the brand new P1, spanked around a track. I can agree to an extent, it wasn't the best of reviews, but compared to what's out there on YouTube (90% shit), I would be god damn happy I got to see this video without even paying a cent.

I don't see how some of you can criticize Chris Harris. I for one, think that his reviews offer the absolute perfect combination of factual information, opinions, performance testing (often, not always, timed laps) and entertainment (drifting). What's wrong with offsetting the balance of the car and exploring its limits, on a track? I find CHs car control simply impressive, and most definitely entertaining. It's not like he's trashing cars (which I absolutely hate see people doing...), he's simply making the cars dance around a bit, on track. The F12 test had a bit much of it, but otherwise his videos are great!

Try loosen up a bit guys, it's not always about lap-times or being faster. Hit that PSM, TC(+SC) OFF (I know there are plenty of 997 GT3 owners here...)DSC, or ESP button once in a while, or switch that Manettino all the way to "Commit Suicide Training" and pretend you're 12 years old. Be happy! If anything, it would make you a better driver, and the experience could potentially save your ass, while exploring limits on track.
No one is blanket criticizing Chris Harris. He is by far my favorite journalist, period. I nearly ended my subscription with EVO Magazine after he was forced to leave due to his comments about Ferrari. I do agree with what you said above that is highlighted. But he does drift too much in his videos.

Here is a simple entertaining/informative thought. Instead of drifting, how about a journalist take for example 3 cars. A Toyota BRZ, a C7 Corvette, and the Mclaren P1. Pick a corner. Any corner. Toss all 3 into that corner, and record the speed in which car A, B & C can take that corner before the grip level expires. Do the same with braking, etc... A person who is about to spend 6 figures or more on a car may just want to know where his money is going in comparison to a more affordable sports car; and the guy with the more affordable sports car something to work for, dream about & aspire to.

Originally Posted by jaymoney
For some reason this car has become the hater dump. This review wasn't very detailed, more of an ode. Every review doesn't need to have NASA level statistics and insight. If he had said that the car sucked, this crew would have hooted and applauded.
I respectfully disagree. I can only speak for myself, but I do not hate the car or the company. Am I dissapointed as an enthusiest? Yes, absolutely. Am I dissapointed as potential future owner of the brand? Yes.

Think of it this way: You have a favorite Ball team. You want to see that team have a bright successful future. You want to see them absolutely wipe the floor with their competition. You want to see them be anything but their competition. You don't want to see them become their competition even if others like/support the opposing team.

Originally Posted by jumping_horse
Well, I dont think its that bad..was the review of the 918 better? On the subject - I really still believe this car will destroy the 918..but lets see...

What really upset me however - and where he lost his creditibility - "this car feels much faster then the Honda F1 2007 car.."..well, really sir? How can one be so naive believing that this car can outperform a Honda F1 car from 2007..?

What we need now is: a track and clocked comparison between La Ferrari, Mclaren P1, and the 918..but I fear that none of the manufacturers will agree to that because one will look like a complete idiot/fool afterwars..- I wont disclose my personal opnion on this one..
Don't hold your breath. The likelyhood of ever seeing an informative, unbiased, independent test of these 3 models in showroom specification is about the same as me hooking up with Kate Upton. As much as I want to see it, it ain't gonna happen sorry to say.

Last edited by Zeus; 01-29-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Tango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DJ
Thanks for the post! Added To homepage.
You're welcome DJ.

With respect to the review, I think the expectations surrounding the P1 were very high and somehow the video left us with little flavor, but consider that Steve Sutcliffe drive the P1 on the GP track, for just a few brief laps, apparently is what he was allowed.

I do not know how many journalists are willing to squeeze the potential of P1 (£866,000), without having spent a reasonable period of adaptation. Imo

PS:

"You can drive this car slowly easily, but it will take a while longer really to get a handle on all it can do. You need to learn it, and then begin to push the abilities of yourself and it in unison." Tom Ford - Top Gear

"This is not, I rapidly conclude, a Big Daddy version of the 12C. It's a completely different animal. One that will chew you up, take you for a death roll for a while, then spit you back from whence you came. And that's in Normal mode." Steve Sutcliffe

Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
LaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond repute
I was really excited to watch this video after they teased it, saying they were taking time to edit it. What a disappointing video! The teaser was 10x better than the finished video, but the car should be great and I can't wait to see Chris Harris get his hands on it. I am really looking forward to the first 918 vs. P1 video.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:01 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Peloton25
Some would suggest he might have been trying too hard.

>8^)
ER
Originally Posted by jumping_horse
Well, I dont think its that bad...
Sutcliffe spun and damaged the car in his third or fourth lap cutting short the planned afternoon activities, so I was making a bit of a joke there.

>8^)
ER